• 1 Post By The Tourist
  • 2 Post By Chuck43
  • 3 Post By The Tourist
  • 1 Post By The Tourist
  • 2 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #1

It truly is a curse.

One thing polishers have problems with is "when to stop." I've spent days chasing whisker marks before I put the knife away. Of course, the first day I used it again I found a new mark...

I really thought I had it beat this time. I just needed a knife for my gray jean vest. Something for wet boxes or Rueben Sandwiches at Doolittles. I went through my inventory until I found a knife so far away from my standards that I thought to myself, "Myself, no one can fix this blade not even Rob Babcock!

So I got out the shaping stones, the rags, the paste, the whole magilla. I was going to build myself a pocketknife that I could use, fold, and put away without a care--until today.

My wife had to work all day, and the little boy dog is still frightened to be alone. Right now he's watching the front door. I had stocked up with the basics--Subways, Medjool Dates, and VitaRain vitamin water.

But I get bored easily, and sure enough I saw a small glint on the tanto edge of my "beater" knife. A flaw.

But that's what Shiroi Kotaku San (her name) was built for. However, out came the polish and glass.

Now the tip is perfect--and I have an appointment with my shrink on March 8th, no kidding...

001.JPG

002.JPG
Chuck43, MonoLake and swca like this.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #2

mine only shine that much when I accidently hit something and nick the blade!

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #3

This knife is good for two kinds of cutting. The tip is good for slitting envelopes and plastic packages, and the belly bevel is good for rope and things like radiator hoses.

(Oh, and if you ever polish a knife for Chuck, use most of your time on the tip! If the tip isn't like a rapier you get complaints!)

And this tip is like a laser!

Old 03-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
Super Moderator

The tip is extremely important to me, it's what I use for surgery..... I dig out slivers with it.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:19 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
The tip is extremely important to me, it's what I use for surgery..... I dig out slivers with it.
Kind of sounds like W.C. Fields. He said, "I only carry liquor for snake bites, and I also carry the snake!"

You should get a Ruger Compact like this one. I pay 33 bucks for them, and the tip geometry is downright deadly.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:49 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Kind of sounds like W.C. Fields. He said, "I only carry liquor for snake bites, and I also carry the snake!"

You should get a Ruger Compact like this one. I pay 33 bucks for them, and the tip geometry is downright deadly.
No need for that, I know a guy in Wisconsin that given enough Subway sandwiches and coffee can turn a rusty nail into something that will put a surgeons scalpel to shame. My EDC is a perfect example of what this guy can do.
Jflytle and Wingnut like this.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:10 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
No need for that, I know a guy in Wisconsin that given enough Subway sandwiches and coffee can turn a rusty nail into something that will put a surgeons scalpel to shame. My EDC is a perfect example of what this guy can do.
Yeah, I know him, too. Amazing what they can teach the "chronically bewildered" at those asylums...
Chuck43, MonoLake and Jflytle like this.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:31 AM   #8

Since I already had a Ruger Compact with two differing edges, and since the mall has been a tad ornery lately, I decided that what I really needed was an extremely sharp but cheap knife. And since 2/3s of the work I wanted to do was already done to Shiroi Kotaku San, all I had to soak was the 2000 speckled, the 5000 orange and the 10,000 peach.

Even then the tanto edge only needed the peach.

I got back from the gym and only needed just short of two hours to get the stone work done. While it's good enough to use now (and I'll be carrying it to the mall) the paste and glass work can wait until tonight.

I know I can hit +500,000 but the question is, will the edge hold the slurry...
Jflytle likes this.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #9

The polishing was a snap. It pays to have all your bevels straight and some of the blade already polished!

Once again that dished out area was a problem in lining up all the bevels. Yeah, yeah, I know, I know. It's a 33 dollar knife with +400 bucks of labor in it, and no Navy SEAL within the subdivision...

It doesn't take much "oomph" or Tuff-Glide to flip the blade into locking mode. It's more of a gentle toss. Amazing since there isn't a shred of wobble on the blade to handle to liner lock. I just wish the liner lock was a tad more to the left of the blade.

002.JPG

003.JPG
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.