Folding pocket katana? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2018, 12:52 PM   #1

Folding pocket katana?

As many of you know, I am also a member of a prepper forum. It's often fun to see how tastes and needs change for cutlery. A weekend wilderness camper might do just fine with a Buck 110 (while I think the superior knife is their BU112FG model) but a prepper has to look at the longer picture. A prepper needs a knife strong enough for anything, light enough for fast escapes, and simple enough to sharpen on a wet rock out of a river.

So they started a thread on "what's a good knife." I wrote in to say that I wanted a folded steel jackknife. I figured I'd never see one invented.

Then I remembered that one of the guys I rep for is from Mcusta Knives. So I turned to his page, and there it was! A folded folder!

Not many people read the stamps on knives, and they should with Japanese products. If it has an even number of layers, it's hammered and folded in the traditional way.

If it has an odd number of layers it means they placed one sheet or layer of a differing steel in the final fold. I was hoping for VG-10, like on my Hattori.

And lo and behold, I read the nomenclature and it does have a VG-10 core!

This means that it will handle the nanodiamond slurry just fine. Yikes, a folder at 3.2 million grit will be mine! Usually my wife makes me sell them!

My wife was glad I got the knife because there only are eleven more. Hopefully Doc won't find out about this! The blade is 3.5 inches long--there goes four days of my life!

foldedMCUSTA.jpg
Chuck43 likes this.