The Boker-Plus licensed Coye fixed blade. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #1

The Boker-Plus licensed Coye fixed blade.

Several years ago I had a licensed Coye copy of a great knife Boker called "The Ridgeback." Like most of the knives I've sweated over, I sold it. Then I regretted it.

When it comes to fixed blade knives I'm an evil taskmaster. A fixed blade knife is a tool for work, and it lives a life of misery. Most of the greatest are made from 1095 steel, which is essentially worn out sections of common railroad tracks.

The best of that genre is the TOPS C.A.T., which is a knife we all should own. Light, strong and razor sharp. It's valued by my redheaded clients, but I digress.

The licensed copy was literally a perfect duplicate, right down to the tiny choil at the heel of the blade blank. Made from modern 440C steel, it both shined, sliced and shed corrosion. I thought they were all gone.

In placing an order to Blue Ridge, I found that the licensed copy was still around. Perhaps no longer as popular, but then tail fins are coming back on cars, I have a feeling.

One of these Coye-based knives is already winging its way to me. And by a strange coincidence, I have all the stones to take this edge to the stratosphere! Stay tuned!
Chuck43, Jflytle, swca and 1 others like this.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:22 PM   #2

One of the hardest chores (both to accomplish and teach) is to spend time getting the factory edge to run down the center of the blade blank. To do this, you must shape both sides of the bevel to be uniform in width, from front to back and from left to right.

I got a surprise this morning when I saw how bad the left side truly was. It took most of the afternoon to fix less than two inches of blade steel.

However, the more uniform your shaping, the easier is your sharpening and then the final polish.

Here is the knife, both right side and left side.

002.JPG

003.JPG
Old 04-28-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Nice work Chico, that edge looks perfect.

Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2018, 04:49 PM   #4

Did you see this picture. That's where I started from. And yes, still hate fixing new stuff.

Look down about 3/8s inch from the tip. The grinder pushed the wheel into the tip for some reason. That small sliver of black ink was still there after three or four passes.

001.JPG

Last edited by The Tourist; 04-28-2018 at 04:51 PM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Yes, I saw that picture when you first posted it. I follow all your knife threads, you never know when something might strike my fancy.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:02 AM   #6

During the last few days, my computer wouldn't start at all, even with a split screen.

Then to make matters worse, an older 5K orange Nubatama stone fractured. Fortunately I had a spare new one. Ken and I were always worried about the original. Like all stones, many have minor cracks, and like a windshield, they can go in an instant.

The the new 5K orange now only slides like cream on the edge, but got out some devilish whisker marks with just a few flips.

The edge is already spooky, and now inked up for the 10,000 grit stone. If luck holds, I might follow that up with a 15,000 grit stone before I polish.
RustyIron likes this.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Chico, when are you going to quit beating on that dead horse? If you don't want to buy a new computer pick up an Amazon HD 8 tablet for $80.00 and do everything on it that you can do on your computer when it's working.

2sharp2 likes this.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Chico, when are you going to quit beating on that dead horse?
There's an old polishers creed which states, "Happy life, happy wife, you can keep the knife..."

My wife is first in line this month. She cracked two molars has to have two crowns.

On the brighter side, I just finished the stone polishing on the Coye. The polishing starts when I get up from my nap...

(Yeah, I cleaned and flattened my stones already!)
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:19 PM   #9

...nap time is over, time to polish...
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:46 PM   #10

A note to RustyIron from his employee...

I hope the pictures turned out alright, this was a major project. I could not afford a real Coye since my wife needs two crowns on some cracked molars. But I can do research.

I found a picture of a real Coye, noticed where, how big and deep he cut his choil, and mimicked his hand movements. Then I had to grind off three errors, and then make the bevels uniform and matching.

To tell the truth, the polishing scared me the most. I had to go through four pieces of glass, two suspensions, one emulsion and finally a bottle I was afraid to drop.

Now why would anyone do this for essentially a "combat paring knife"? I'll tell you.

This is my knife--that is until Chuck or Doc scrape up some serious money. As my favorite togishi says, "You make the blade to reflect the owner/cutler, not the polisher." And then there's that old problem of ego. I wanted to set the bar very high.

So, yes, someday I'll call you "boss" and laugh at your jokes and do a lot of unwanted overtime. But today I'll simply ask you to polish a knife better. With Dwade Hawley retired, you only have to beat Ken Schwartz, Rob Babcock and me.

BTW, that "bottle" I mentioned, well, it was the 3.2 million grit nanodiamond slurry. Even Dragons are afraid to tickle this blade...

(I hope your sense of humor is working today!)

002.JPG

004.JPG
Chuck43, RustyIron and swca like this.