Refining the Coye licensed copy fixed blade. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By The Tourist
  • 1 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2018, 02:39 PM   #1

Refining the Coye licensed copy fixed blade.

I'm picky about my fixed blade knives. My favorites are a Bradford anything, the TOPS C.A.T., and the Coye. I cannot afford a real Coye, but he has offered a licensed copy one cannot tell from the real deal.

Now, these last knives I bought (a Spline, a Barge and a Coye) were all to be my personal knives). I usually use them for a bit, dull them, and then make a more knowledgeable opinion on improvements. I checked over my Coye, and found I desperately needed a choil and that there was a flat spot about 3/8 inch from the tip.

Since the edge would have to be made uniform front to back and then left to right, I needed to get any stone flat to the bevel. Since the grinder eased the wheel into the blank near the ricasso, he left an uneven area that had to be removed.

Since I'd done one of these before, I knew I needed round diamond files and a method for getting as close to the ugly part as I could. I use a CRKT serration sharpener, cut a slot with the smallest file (pushing down and to the rear at the same time) until a large enough divot will hold the second size diamond rod.

This takes out the complete grinding error. Yeah, it's picky. But you can tell a lot about a polisher on how he finishes the ricasso transition.

The last picture shows the divot half done.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #2

Well, it took over an hour, but then everything has to be true, straight and even. I like the second size diamond rod because some of the stones you need are thick, or special ones Ken made for me which are very wide.

Personally, I think I make neater and prettier choils than Coye himself does. Don't tell him that, though...

The Coye is inked, and I am deciding which stones are best for 440C. The modern version of this chromium steel has a finer grain than the stuff made in the 1960s and 1970s.

004.JPG
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:29 AM   #3

...I guess I spoke too soon...

As you know, I finished the choil and inked up the blade for shaping. Everything seemed to be going well--until I did the left hand side of the knife!

Click on the picture to blow it up. Not only will you see the edge is off, but focus on the tip. Most of the grinding errors are gone, but you can still see some black ink where the grinder pushed the tip too far into the wheel.

My black ink still shows after I've been over this spot three or four times.

It happens, it's part of the game. I wasn't thrilled to see the edge so far off, but then again, it's my knife, I'm retired, and I have spares all over the house...

001.JPG