SnowTao's knife. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2018, 02:08 AM  

SnowTao's knife.

The stones have been soaking, and a brand new Kershaw Barge has been inked and ready for shaping.

I have plenty of coffee in the fridge, my adrenals are marginal, but I'm rockin' on cortisol and I should be able to true up the bevels when I get home from the gym.

Pictures to follow.
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:22 AM  

(You need cawfee to keep you going when you just KNOW an @sschewing awaits if you fall asleep over it?! Tee hee hee! No, sweetie, I appreciate you doin' this for me -- and I WON'T yell at you.... unless you need it!)
Old 05-09-2018, 08:31 AM  

First pass with shaping stone.

The right hand side was fairly straight. However there is/was a slight over-grind on the left tip. Not a big one, perhaps two or three passes, and then a flip to the right side to make sure both bevels are uniform.

This one has some good, fine grain steel.

001.JPG
Chuck43, Dude22, 2sharp2 and 2 others like this.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:22 PM  

Went to the mall, delivered a knife to a barista, yakked with Charlie and Lucy until Derek and Eleanor joined us, had a second cup of coffee, and then went home to feed the mutt. Just as I closed my eyes for a well deserved nap since I'm retired, I remembered I had a crooked bevel sitting under a shaping stone.

Yeah, tequila tastes terrible in cold coffee, but the heart wants what it wants.

Both sides are now uniform, sharp, and literally a Pygmalion in steel.

002.JPG
Old 05-09-2018, 02:34 PM  

After all said and done, won’t using it ruin all your work? Always meant to ask ya that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 05-09-2018, 03:06 PM  

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
After all said and done, won’t using it ruin all your work? Always meant to ask ya that.
It's actually a good question. In Japan there used to be two martial paths of craftsmen. Those who knew how to kill (the bushido school) and those who knew how to make perfect weapons of war (the togishi school).

Yes, when the katana was returned to the Samurai or the Ronin it was as perfect as the human hand could make it. But 'Samurai' does not mean something like 'mercenary' or 'knight errant,' it means "to serve."

This usually meant to a shogun or later the royalty, called "The Chrysanthemum Order."

The ruler did not care if the Samurai died and his priceless katana was bent into a pretzel.

Flash to the present. SnowTao does precision work with high-end research equipment. You could take all of the polished knives out of my personal collection and it would probably pay for half of one of her instruments.

The edge of her new knife must be centered, uniform and spooky sharp. It might have to trim wire to the angstrom so a bulb fits in a socket. If the knife gets destroyed--but completes her project--it has done it's job.

Yes, I get back boxes of damaged knives. But if you buy a knife from me I don't want some local hoe-handle ruining my edge. The client gets "life sharp."

I have an interview with a togishi I'd like to post. He explains polishing better than I can. I'll see if Chuck will let me post some of the interview.
Chuck43, bhunted and Loki1967 like this.

Last edited by The Tourist; 05-09-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:28 PM  

What about under normal use? No filleting, cutting fine wire, (was an electronic technician, better tools for that), no hand to hand combat hopefully. Just cutting boxes, cutting splinters out of my flesh, maybe some other daily type stuff?

Chuck43 likes this.

John, aka BHunted

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 05-09-2018, 03:39 PM  

What about under normal use?
Oh, I ask this question quite often. Like any pursuit, you must deliver a product which exceeds the client's expectations.

A good example of this is the story of Chuck's knife. Given as a gift, it failed to cut. To make matters worse, the company would not honor a commitment to repair the knife. I consider this dishonest and a slap to all polishers.

Yeah, I paced the day his knife was shipped, after all, he had been cheated by the first guy. But Chuck reports the knife now delivers as he had hoped. And I believe that every tool should provide that satisfaction.

Only the client can define was is "normal."
Ice-and-Snow likes this.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:48 PM  
Super Moderator

What about under normal use? No filleting, cutting fine wire, (was an electronic technician, better tools for that), no hand to hand combat hopefully. Just cutting boxes, cutting splinters out of my flesh, maybe some other daily type stuff?

John, do what you will with it and after the snot has been beat out of it send it back to Chico. In reality he lives for moments like that, they keep him from going stir crazy. I have 2 knives he's worked his magic on and I have yet to dull down one of them.
Ice-and-Snow likes this.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:34 PM  

They stay shinny too?

Chuck43 likes this.

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II