I bought a partially serrated knife... - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #1

I bought a partially serrated knife...

...and I hate serrated knives.

There's a lot of misunderstanding with serrations. I hear all the time that a serrated knife keeps cutting long after the plain edge goes dull. Nice thought, but wrong.

The blade blank has the same Rc. rating throughout. The plain blade is as keen as the serrations. What usually happens is the owner uses the plain edge for nice, neat slices and never uses the serrations--that is, until an emergency strikes, like getting your foot caught on an anchor line as it uncoils over the top-side.

But that's not why I bought this knife. I liked the plain edge version, I just liked a whole bunch of other stuff, too. That knife was popular, my wife is the bookkeeper and the collection went into grocery money.

But here's a dirty little secret. Blue Ridge Knives sends me a monthly catalog. Most items are weird colors, bad designs, Chinese assisted opening folders for 3.99 bucks, and lots of serrated knives. In fact, I'll bet 2/3s of the slow moving stuff is serrated.

As I flipped through the new catalog, one of these knives popped up with serrations. As I studied the example, I found they had made the first intelligent design change I had seen. The serrations were not pointed little teeth, but sharp, flattened projections that were like little chisels.

These will be a snap to sharpen and polish.

But the big thing for me is the price. The premium knife started at +150 bucks. The model I bought cost 49 bucks, with perfect fit, blade down the center of the handle, a sturdy lock and a razor sharp plain edge--and it was even straight.

Last month I bought three Kizers, each one about 60 bucks. No serrations, but much of their stuff goes for several hundred dollars.

You have to speak the lingo, however. If you see the phrase "inventory available," buy the knife if you want it. It usually means they have five left.

If I like the way this semi-serrated version acts, I might buy a spare....
Old 05-17-2018, 03:23 AM   #2

I buy most of my knives partially serrated, 2 fold reason, the serrations are saved for rope cutting or more aggressive cutting, the other reason is tactical, in a defensive act a serrated cut is harder to suture the a straight cut.
Graf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:29 AM   #3

As a knife salesman, I find the guys who buy serrated knives are guys in construction and sailors.

I thought this CRKT model was distinct because the serrations are little chisels and will be easier to sharpen.

When I tune-up a typically serrated knife, I flip it over, ink the back, and using a finer grain stone, I pull down "south" only. Many times the serrations are like balled up fingers, and just straightening them out and polishing off the chips makes them sharper.

Old 05-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #4

After some soul searching, I decided that the low price point and my knowledge of the knife and alloy were worth the serrations.

I'm calling Blue Ridge first thing Monday morning and buying a second one.

This does not mean I am unhappy with the Spline--both knives do essentially the same function. That is, a non-martial EDC designed for cutting the usual daily debris, thus allowing your fending knife to stay sharp.

It is a quality knife, it's just that serrated knives are just not popular with most "professional hobbyists."

I tend to look at this folder as a quality knife with an unwanted feature. Of course, the first time I have to cut through wet rope I'll praise the heck out of it...
Chuck43 and Loki1967 like this.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:30 AM   #5

Just got off the telephone with my inside-sales gal at Blue Ridge. She checked the stock and it was below 30 units. I ordered two.

Here's the deal. It's a quality knife, at one time there were hundreds of them in stock. Now the thrill is gone. So a knife that first cost 150 to 200 bucks (plus a high polish) is now going for 49 dollars.

I've been carrying mine and the Spline, and I cannot make up my mind which is better. The serrated knife is heavier and better quality, the Spline is thinner, lighter, and while the alloy is mundane, it takes one heck of an edge. It will probably demand more sharpening.

But I know a guy...
Loki1967 likes this.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:06 PM   #6

Since I know what "limited inventory" means in the cutlery industry, I ordered two more of this style serrated knife. The UPS truck just left.

It is my intention to polish and 'adjust' the worst one of the three. I opened the two new packages and they were perfect--I had the 'bad' one all along.

Even as the 'bad' one, the edge is razor sharp, it's just that the tip is a little wider than the rear of the bevel. And while the decorative chisel serrations on the left side of the knife are perfect, the right side (the rear portion of the serrations) was barely touched by the sharpener.

Because of the superior steel, it will be a month or two before it starts to go dull. There is perhaps two hours work to make it pass the "togishi test."

I now have three sets of three. I have three of these serrated, three of the Kizers, and three of the Splines. Each knife cost less than 50 bucks, but is a good buy for the careful way they were all assembled. Now I see why my wife hunts for "on sale" merchandise.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Pictures, pictures, pictures, oh and if I haven't previously mentioned it, post some pictures.
Loki1967 and PaulWVa like this.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:31 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Pictures, pictures, pictures, oh and if I haven't previously mentioned it, post some pictures.
Oh, I intend to. But the funny things about knives is that some of them are "equipment" and some of them are "mine."

Over the past several months I made some form of epiphany. The expensive folders made from modern alloys sometimes disappointed me. Then I'd find a 24.95 dollar Spline and it served me better than folded Japanese steel.

Getting some fixed blades of 3V alloy from Bradford kind of stamped the deal closed. These knives look like worn out blue jeans, but they are some of the most ergonomic, useful, cleanly designed implements I own.

When I slid this first serrated knife into my jeans it felt like it always had been there. I started to wonder if the Kizers were going to pedaled off.

But consider this. My customized Harleys didn't much look like the rest of the bikes in the MC.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:04 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I still don't see any pictures or did I forget to request them?
Loki1967 likes this.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:59 AM   #10

So maybe I missed it, but what model CRKT is the one you settled on? They have a couple that might fit your description. And to Chuck's point, pictures please, pre, or post-polish is fine (both preferred).
Chuck43 likes this.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote