I was going to polish this... - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2018, 07:06 AM   #1

I was going to polish this...

...but it works better this way.

As many of you know, one of my favorite "Saturday jeans knives" is the CRKT "No Time Off" model. Everything you need, nothing you don't.

It is made with superior steel (BD1), easy to open on a ball-bearing pivot, a deep pocket clip, a double lock and the perfect size. They sold like there was no tomorrow--but not the semi-serrated version. Blue Ridge dumped those for about 49 bucks. I bought three of them.

My goal was to polish the straight edge, and then also brighten up the little chisels that form the serrated section. Then my old computer took a dump, and you know the rest.

During that drama, I found the edge on the serrated model to be an almost perfect kirinaga edge. Just the right angle, rough enough to grab something like a wet cherry tomato, but sharp enough to make clean slices.

If you ever had an early Emerson CQC7 you'll know performance.

I'm going to leave it this way. In time, I'll polish some of the serrated area from wear, but I have the waterstones to re-create the original edge.

I never envisioned myself a "serrations guy." But some jobs require it, usually on a Saturday afternoon...

DSC02286.JPG
Old 06-26-2018, 05:03 AM   #2

I called Blue Ridge yesterday and found out they still have about two dozen of these folders left.

They appear to be early models--they have things like perfect fit, good bevels, liners that perfectly fit the handles, solid locks, etc. All signs of early, careful assembly.

I'm contemplating buying a dozen.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:43 AM   #3
Super Moderator

The "No Time Off" is one of the best knives I own. The ball bearing hinge opens as fast and smooth as any automatic knife I have and the blade lock is as solid as a bank vault. This is one knife lock you won't accidentally release. The blade is well designed, it easily handles any light or heavy cutting job. One of the first tests I did when I first got it was to slice up some 1" nylon rope. Mine doesn't have the serrations, I think they came out with that model after I got mine from Chico. I bought 2 of them and gave one to my son, he loves it so much he carries it daily whether he's wearing jeans or a suit to the office. Of course getting a knife from Chico means they get polished and come with "Life Sharp". When it needs sharpening simply return it to him and he will turn it back into a surgical scalpel.

In all honesty for me the only con is the lack of a good point for digging out slivers.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:24 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
In all honesty for me the only con is the lack of a good point for digging out slivers.
When I repair/resharpen one of mine I will "dress down" the portion of the spine above the point. It's easy to match the curve and the right level of polish.

On your Bear & Sons, I took paste and glass and lightly started about +3/8 inch from behind the point, and then pushed the glass off the point. Always off. I did it several times.

It is a trick to refine the point without disturbing the cosmetics.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
As a knife salesman, I can find a knife like that.

Look at Kurobikari-San. I could remove your splinter quite easily--from across the room...

DSC02289.JPG