Kurobikari-San is set for a rebuild. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 05:09 PM   #1

Kurobikari-San is set for a rebuild.

As is my custom, I carry a larger knife and a smaller knife. I've chosen the Spline for the smaller knife, and I just assumed that Kurobikari-San would always be there. But I had not removed it from my left vest pocket, placed there so it could drawn and flipped open in one move, badly cutting my attacker in segments of a second.

But when I pulled out the knife, I found a lot of dust, a fading belly bevel, and strangely the polished tanto bevel had lost its keenness. In fact, the bevels were of dissimilar width.

Fortunately I had bought two, 2" wide shaping stones from Ken Schwartz. Both are metal shapers, one at 140 grit and one at 60 grit. They will correct the bevel widths and allow me to engage the same pressure across the full width of the shaper.

As you know, I make the four bevels unite at the tiny pyramid where the bevels all come together forming a perfect point.

Yeah, I have three of these folders and three Kizers, which would also be usable as a fending tool. But the idea of perfect, dead flat bevels and 3.2 million grit edges is just too much of a challenge to ignore.

After all, over 800 years ago, a bent, aged togishi had an idea for a short, close quarters razor blade...

I start tomorrow. The stones are soaking.
Loki1967 likes this.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:50 AM   #2

Changed my mind, and a lucky break!

Yikes, I thought I was a good polisher!

I decided to re-profile my other fending knife, Shiroi Kotaku-San. Kurobikari-San really needs a polishing, and I wanted to try out the wider shapers for profiling. I'm glad I did.

I thought I had cut a pretty straight belly bevel. So I inked up the blade and made a cut. I wasn't even close!

There was a big dip in about mid blade, and that mistake would have effected every stone and piece of glass I used.

When you check the picture, blow it up as big as you can get it.

DSC02293.JPG
Old 07-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #3

😲

Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #4

This is why I asked Ken to make me double-wide shapers. Lots of Japanese based folders have long expanses of straight bevels. You can feel when the wide shaper fits perfectly against straight bevel.

Humbling? Yes. But it's like my dad used to say, "Always play chess against a guy who is better than you, or you won't get better..."

Wow, was that bevel dished!
PaulWVa likes this.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:49 PM   #5

...I fixed it...
Old 07-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #6

Damn I just hate it when my dismal bevels get dished ...

Seriously as our resident "knife guy" I would like your opinion on Automatics, such as the Benchmade Infidel and Out-the-front (autos and assisted). I don't have any of these in my collection and I'm not how sure legal the autos are here, but I'm going to check into it.

I've priced a few autos from $450.00 to $250.00 . are they worth it? I've priced some interesting OTFs from $100.00 to $250.00, (assisted, more for the real autos). The OTFs don't seem like the actions would be all that durable for the money. Opinions? Experiences? Suggestions?
PaulWVa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:19 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PaulWVa View Post
I don't have any of these in my collection and I'm not how sure legal the autos are here, but I'm going to check into it.
Here's a site that may help you check the law in your state.
PaulWVa likes this.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:30 PM   #8

Originally Posted by PaulWVa View Post
I've priced a few autos from $450.00 to $250.00 . are they worth it? I've priced some interesting OTFs
When it come s to end-user prices I'm often in the dark. I'm amazed at what some vendors get for autos.

But I go back to Josh Burbank. Not only does he have the best automatics, but he has a "point system" that gives you discounts on future purchases.

My wife has an OTF Microtech from Josh, and it's quite a knife.

Josh also handles Protech, which I still feel has the best, most durable and easily re-buildable mechanism I've seen. In second place is the mechanism in the Mikov, you can change the springs with your bare hands.

Having said that, I'm a sucker for a Sicilian stiletto. It was my first automatic, and hence my first love.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #9

I've been looking at the Microtechs and have read good reviews. I'm in love with the Benchmade Infidel but at the price of a nice handgun I just can't justify the price. I mean $500.00 ...really? that would go along way at the next gun show or would buy me 2000 rds of 9mm ammo with change left over for cheeseburgers.

Thanks for the input and for the legal info Chuck. I must gain more education on the knives and laws before making any rash purchases.
PaulWVa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #10

I thought rash purchases were the heart and soul of the forum
Chuck43, Jflytle, Loki1967 and 1 others like this.