The knife goes to charity. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2018, 06:28 AM   #1

The knife goes to charity.

After discussing the project with Chuck, I will be selling off the knife I am now polishing to charity.

(You may confirm the project with the manager at Barnes & Noble, Jen. She works at the East Towne Mall branch. We are providing support for the local "House of Hope).

I will see her today, and get details how she wants me to approach funding. This is her gig.

For the last year, I met with her on every Friday, and gave her all the change I was carrying. We've filled one jug and are working on the second.

The knife is a Ruger Compact, a durable flipper. Not a knife to keep in a glass box, a knife to use. As always, you will get "life sharp."
bhunted, RustyIron, Tejun and 3 others like this.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:10 AM   #2

Wait a second there, Hoss. Isn't Charity that scantly clad young barista at the coffee bar?

Oh... I must have been confused.
Keep us informed of the project!
Chuck43, Tejun and Jflytle like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #3

Boy, I hope you're wrong. One female barista was the manager (who hates me), one had green hair and one was Goth.

BTW, I thought of something coming home. We have a lot of polishers here, what happens if one of them makes the right bid?

Well, I'm not as stupid as I look, which would be darn near impossible anyway.

I have a brand new one of these Rugers, in the box, never opened. The point of this is to help out some families who have plowed everything into getting some healing for their children.

If the winner is a polisher and says, "Chico, no offense, but I want the virgin," then that's what he gets. No room for egos on this project.

Edit: When Jen is gone, ask for assistant manager "Woody."
Jflytle likes this.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #4

Send in the apprentice, time for new blood!

Well, it looks like I am going to have to use the 10,000 grit stone and maybe the 15,000 one, too.

I looked at the edges under a strong light, and there was a "foggy" cast to the sheen. The edge is nice, I almost whacked my ring finger moving the knife for the shot.

A mugger is going to be thrilled simple stitches will close that perfect slash...

DSC02301.JPG

DSC02302.JPG
SnowTao, Jflytle, Loki1967 and 2 others like this.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #5

Well, the tanto edges were re-done, all the edges re-inked, and the stones with the "big numbers" are soaking as I type.

Obviously one of the blade blanks slipped through Q/C with better steel...
Old 07-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #6

Oh, I know this road--potholes...

There's an analogy between working for a charity cause and going to the prom. If you're like most people, the day before the prom you get a zit on the tip of your nose.

When you polish a knife--especially for someone else--you get whisker marks. It has to happen, I think the Democrats made it a law in 2015...

Below is the right side belly bevel. Now that the stone work is done, the polishing begins. And this is not done simply to make the knife pretty, but to also refine the bevel right out to the edge.

This one scares me, it's spooky sharp. And to really impress you, that sheen was done with my coarsest paste and my coarsest paper. The walk through Purgatory required I polish it three times. Enjoy.

Edit: Check the tanto edge--see the whisker marks?

DSC02304.JPG

Last edited by The Tourist; 07-08-2018 at 01:30 PM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #7

I just finished the coarse paper work on the left side. I have to stop now, the Diazepam is wearing off...LOL

The old togishi of Edo had a name for polishing. Translated, it means "curse." The idea is that you will never be satisfied with your own work. And I want this knife to be perfect.

I felt the edge after I finished the left side. Oy, vey, and we still have four pastes left to go...
RustyIron likes this.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #8

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
The old togishi of Edo had a name for polishing. Translated, it means "curse."
Last week I rediscovered a knife that I had stashed in a drawer. I polished it up right after you started sharing your work here on KT. At the time, I was quite pleased with it.

After removing it from the drawer and taking a quick gander at it, all I can figure is that a pack of drunken monkeys came by in the middle of the night and used this knife out on the driveway to smash their bananas.

Perhaps it's time to go down to the kitchen and play with my stones.
The Tourist, Tejun and Jflytle like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #9

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Perhaps it's time to go down to the kitchen and play with my stones.
Maybe you should come here and help me with this knife.

It's just a human thing. If the knife meant nothing I could do it after four tequilas. But I want Jen to have a nice program, I think the idea of a non-government funded program is an excellent idea. And let's face it, she'll be the one who takes the fall if this thing goes bust.

But what seems to be "so important" is just part of this job. Lots of times I'll find a mark, back up one stone more coarse and re-sharpen the entire side. That's the gig.

I let all the stones stay soaking--because I feared a mark would surface. But the forum helped me when I needed it, and they should expect nothing less in return.

I hope I hear laughter in the telephone soon as the member and owner laughs, "I just cut myself four times..."
Tejun likes this.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:22 AM   #10

I hoping to to get this knife done today/tomorrow. I just found out I have a dental appointment, a haircut and meeting with my new therapist this week.

I used to see "old guys" at the coffee bar turn to their wives and say something like, "Now, where I am supposed to be?," and I'd laugh.

My wife has a smart-phone and now I ask her the same thing...
Tejun and Jflytle like this.