What do you folks think of this one? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 04:20 PM   #1

What do you folks think of this one?

The picture below is a Cold Steel knife called The Immortal. The design goes back almost 2,500 years.

Originally designed and used as one of the first "iron age" weapons of the Greeks, it was known as the 'xiphos.'

The design was refined by the Romans, and they called the short sword the 'gladius.'

When an American company started basing knives on this design, a doctor actually verified what the ancient civilizations knew about this design. A stab with a short sword was a quick kill.

I must be honest here, this folder is not dainty or even easy to use. It's heavy, hard to open and close, but it took a good edge using the waterstones and the pastes and glass.

I cannot think of one normal use this design has for the modern man. Then again, if you live in an area where firearms are hard to obtain due to local laws and liberal barriers, this might be the ticket that gets you home safely.

Be honest, tell me what you think.

DSC02335.JPG
RustyIron, 427malibu and PaulWVa like this.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #2

That looks mean. I like the tip of the blade. Are they expensive?
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Chico, I'll bet your friend Doc would have a great time with it.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2018, 06:58 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Chico, I'll bet your friend Doc would have a great time with it.
Oy, vey, you're right! He'd have the kitchen chopped up again and another chunk taken out of that brick wall!
Old 08-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #5

Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
That looks mean. I like the tip of the blade. Are they expensive?
A tad pricey, but they are built very tough. Other than price, would this knife have a place in your rotation of EDC knives?
Old 08-09-2018, 09:37 PM   #6

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I must be honest here, this folder is not dainty or even easy to use. It's heavy, hard to open and close, but it took a good edge using the waterstones and the pastes and glass.
It's a cool looking knife, but the part about being hard to open wrecked it for me. A knife must be easy to operate in the event that it is needed for serious business. If it's needed for work, it still must be easy to operate one-handed. And if that "one-hand" is not a left one, forget about it.

Is the back of the blade sharp? Not sure that would be a good thing. the feature that I really like is the divot where your index finger goes. What do you call that? My Emerson has a HUGE divot there, and I've come to love it. Although I have better knives, now they all feel as if they could slide right out of my hand if they were covered in... maple syrup from my pancakes.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:44 AM   #7

Well, it's good and stiff now, obviously it will loosen up with time. But my guess is that on a folder this heavy, they wanted the thing to 'ride' like a Jeep, not like a Cadillac.

The lock really needs a firm thumb to disengage. For me, that's good. You do not want this thing to fold on you.

The top of the spine is like any folder. It has a false swedge. It's only the edge that is sharp.

But here's my goal, this is research for me. As stated, I'm not much of a "combat knife" guy. I have a Bradford Guardian 4 made from 3V, and it can do everything this knife can. But just as I put chrome on a bike, some guys like nice finishes on their pistols, and cool looking knives.

I just wanted some feedback on how average guys like us would take to a knife with a history like the gladius. And let's be honest, you're not going to slicing sandwiches with The Immortal. It's a heavy duty device to get you home safely when the aggressors come out to play.

A little Tuff-Glide on the pivot, and working the blade while watching TV, and a knife can become your own, weird kinks and all.
RustyIron likes this.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:24 AM   #8

Girl here: I thought, ooh, that's kinda pretty -- but I don't like the sick green color... Nice, shiny... I like the gladius point (I DO know hat a gladius is..)

But, I'd prolly cut my finger on the 'back'-point; and if it's heavy, I won't carry it.
SnowTao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:51 AM   #9

The edge is only sharpened on the belly bevel and tanto edge facing the table.

The top 'edge,' or spine is flat like any other folder.

But keep going guys. You just saved me from a big mistake.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #10

It looks cool other than the color. It doesn't sound to practical a carry knife though

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is online now   Reply With Quote