Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RustyIron
  • 1 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #1

RavenCrest Tactical OTF knives

I recently bought my first double-action OTF, a RavenCrest Tactical Titan. So far Iím pretty happy with it. Looks great and solidly built. However, I see a lot of bashing on the internet for the company. Mostly itís because they are ďChineseĒ sourced and assembled in Arizona...not actual ďMade in the USAĒ. Anyone have one of these? Any issues? What attracted me to their product was their lifetime warranty, social media presence (I know where they are) and their extensive video library demonstrating their knives. My only issue so far is that it isnít very sharp, so i will need to sharpen it a bit. thoughts?
NewStainless is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #2

Originally Posted by NewStainless View Post
thoughts?
Yes. But over the years, I've learned that it's often better if I keep them to myself. However, you did ask, thereby opening the door to my never-to-be-unbiased opinion.

I'm not familiar with Raven. My experience with OTF's, on the other hand, were a few really cheap ones that I picked up many years ago. The design of those was critically flawed. I suspect even the big $$ OTF's are of a similar design, so I've never bought one, no matter how cool they look.

For me, a knife is a multi-purpose tool. I might use it to slice a banana for lunch, cut off a piece of wire, punch a hole in a plastic bucket... or defend myself from someone who would do me harm. No knife will be the best at ALL those things, but it mustn't fail at ANY of those things.

Rather than try to describe the mechanism of the knives I've handled, or have you try to describe the operation of yours, let's just to a little test where my knives would have failed.

Find a cardboard box or something that won't damage your knife if you poke it. Hold your knife about an inch away from the box, and flip the switch. On my knives, the blade would shoot out until it hit the box, loose all it's momentum, and fail to lock into place. I'd be left sanding there with a floppy knife in my hand. Trust me, you NEVER want to be left standing there looking stupid with anything floppy in your hand.

One might make the argument that it's appropriate to deploy the knife unobstructed. My thoughts are that in a fight--not a bitch slapping competition or a playground pushing contest, but a real fight--as soon as you reach for that knife, your attacker is going to try to take it from you and hurt you bad. There's a good chance that the knife could come into contact with something before the blade is fully extended. And when that happens, your fancy OTF knife stops looking cool VERY quickly.
Chuck43 likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #3

Originally Posted by NewStainless View Post
I recently bought my first double-action OTF, a RavenCrest Tactical Titan. So far I’m pretty happy with it. Looks great and solidly built. However, I see a lot of bashing on the internet for the company. Mostly it’s because they are “Chinese” sourced and assembled in Arizona...not actual “Made in the USA”.
This is not always a bad thing. May I use Lion Steel as an example.

Spyderco made the individual parts for their top of the line knife (Ask Doc, I snagged him the coveted "orange" model by dumb luck).

These raw parts were then shipped to Lion Steel in Africa for assembly. Now at that time, they would assemble anything. The company just hired expert craftsmen for any job. And Spyderco needed them because the handle was milled from one piece of aluminum or titanium, depending on your wallet.

Then the various pieces were hand-fit into the knife handle for a perfect fit.

That knife is/was called a "Lion Spy."

Kizer does that now, I have three of them, they are all perfect.
Bigdog likes this.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #4

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Yes. But over the years, I've learned that it's often better if I keep them to myself. However, you did ask, thereby opening the door to my never-to-be-unbiased opinion.

I'm not familiar with Raven. My experience with OTF's, on the other hand, were a few really cheap ones that I picked up many years ago. The design of those was critically flawed. I suspect even the big $$ OTF's are of a similar design, so I've never bought one, no matter how cool they look.

For me, a knife is a multi-purpose tool. I might use it to slice a banana for lunch, cut off a piece of wire, punch a hole in a plastic bucket... or defend myself from someone who would do me harm. No knife will be the best at ALL those things, but it mustn't fail at ANY of those things.

Rather than try to describe the mechanism of the knives I've handled, or have you try to describe the operation of yours, let's just to a little test where my knives would have failed.

Find a cardboard box or something that won't damage your knife if you poke it. Hold your knife about an inch away from the box, and flip the switch. On my knives, the blade would shoot out until it hit the box, loose all it's momentum, and fail to lock into place. I'd be left sanding there with a floppy knife in my hand. Trust me, you NEVER want to be left standing there looking stupid with anything floppy in your hand.

One might make the argument that it's appropriate to deploy the knife unobstructed. My thoughts are that in a fight--not a bitch slapping competition or a playground pushing contest, but a real fight--as soon as you reach for that knife, your attacker is going to try to take it from you and hurt you bad. There's a good chance that the knife could come into contact with something before the blade is fully extended. And when that happens, your fancy OTF knife stops looking cool VERY quickly.
You can say that about any automatic knife. I have a Gerber Folder auto as well. If anything obstructs it, it wont open fully. I am not really concerned about an attacker being so close that I cantí deploy an auto knife. At that range, any weapon is going to be hard to deploy, including a gun or fixed blade knife.

I was just wondering about RavenCrest specifically. Iím thinking a lot of the criticism of the brand is just knife snobbery. I know itís not USA made. I donít care that the blade isnít top of the line steel. Iím not hunting bears with it.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #5

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
This is not always a bad thing. May I use Lion Steel as an example.

Spyderco made the individual parts for their top of the line knife (Ask Doc, I snagged him the coveted "orange" model by dumb luck).

These raw parts were then shipped to Lion Steel in Africa for assembly. Now at that time, they would assemble anything. The company just hired expert craftsmen for any job. And Spyderco needed them because the handle was milled from one piece of aluminum or titanium, depending on your wallet.

Then the various pieces were hand-fit into the knife handle for a perfect fit.

That knife is/was called a "Lion Spy."

Kizer does that now, I have three of them, they are all perfect.
Yes, China doesnít always mean junk. Heck, many high-end luxury watches use parts sourced from China. The term ďSwiss MadeĒ, by law, means 60% of the watch must be sourced from Switzerland. the other 40% can come from anywhere. Dirty little secret there (I collect watches). Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences with RavenCrest.