Why polishing takes so long. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2018, 01:23 PM   #1

Why polishing takes so long.

I would ask you to look at the picture below. It is from a magazine called Recoil Concealed, Issue 10. You can find their page at recoilweb.com for verification.

As you know, I've done repair and sharpening work for Chuck and for Doc. In each case the work took four days.

Now, odd as this may sound, Doc called me one night and said he had a "minor surgical procedure" to do on himself--and grabbed one of my knives. My heart sank, I feared that there had been a chip or burr I had missed and the knife was needed for human care.

It is important to know that I am not a togishi. Oh, I use all of their tools and I have nothing but respect for the tradition. The knife must be the best the client has ever seen.

Now here's why it is important. I ask you to look at the tanto edge spine in the picture. My guess is that there are twenty gouges visible in that picture taken with my wife's phone.

But here's the kicker--that knife cost 895.00 dollars.

What if Doc was driving to work and stopped for an accident victim? What if that victim needed a tracheotomy? I polished a ZT0303 for a nurse's student who told me that the re-curve was "good for a trach."

And it's why I offer "life sharp." Sometimes a knife is all a client has. I'm known in the trades as having a "slow hand." Remember, every time a Samurai went into combat, his life depended on the edge of his katana. I believe that tradition has merit.

Click on the picture to enlarge.
scratchBLADE.jpg
bhunted and Bigdog like this.