Polishing on the Sabbath - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2018, 04:35 PM   #1

Polishing on the Sabbath

Being a spiritual man I was quite distressed when two dozen Swiss Guards tossed me bodily out of the Catholic Church. I was a tad ashamed, and figured I'd pack up the Super Glide and head out to someplace remote, like Utah--until I did some studying.

Yikes, I can barely handle my present wife, much less taking on two or three more, all of them getting into my stuff, dulling my Hattori and putting starch in my black Harley T-shirts.

Crestfallen, I pulled into County Life Restaurant in Madison, Wisconsin. There the owner of and head of their commune (and I'm not kidding) Ron Crary, offered to teach me the Bible. Being a former Catholic, he knew I had learned nothing about the gospels in that Catechism.

To make a long story short, most of Swiss Guards had healed, and dropped the charges. I got "time served" and baptized a Seventh Day Adventist. And yes, they do take in "my kind."

One draw back, from dusk on Friday night until dusk on Saturday night, I am not allowed to work. I can do the dishes, but modern interpretations seem to center on "for wages." And the Sabbath will be here in a few hours.

I was in a quandary. Not only do I polish for wages, I polish to control my various bizarre mental slants--all which make me a fairly decent polisher. I'm OCD, I actually foam at the mouth when angry (since the age of seven), I fret about things that will never happen, I have PTSD and I'm a hypochondriac.

(I also hallucinate that I have an imaginary friend called 'Snow who calls me on the telephone and dresses me down akin to R. Lee Ermey munching on a bag of scalding shrapnel).

But like all good bikers of my ethnicity I found a loophole. I can work on the Sabbath if I do it for charity. Here's where you come in.

I acquired a TOPS "Sneaky Pete" because I like TOPS knives. Oh, it's well made and nicely constructed--there's not a rough mark on the entire handle--except I have three of their C.A.T fixed blades, two of their folders in cobalt-vanadium steel and their new Little Bugger.

It's also close enough in size to compete with my Bradford Guardian 4. It was just one too many knives, if you believe in such things.

When I looked at the "user price" I was a bit stunned. I don't pay near that price. And then I came up with a brilliant idea.

I could polish the knife during Sabbath only for a charity, drop the price and add only materials and shipping and see if anyone wanted it. I figured I'd ask 109; that's 9 bucks for shipping and 100 bucks to Jen and her House of Hope Charity.

I'll do the work and push the polish until it gleams. You only have to do one thing.

Be the first one to answer this thread and pay the tab.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:17 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Chico, no offense meant but you have to be a Psychiatrist wet dream.
Marshall, 2sharp2 and Ice-and-Snow like this.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:28 PM   #3

Wouldn't be the first time I heard it. My former therapist said I was too much "in trauma" to let a class of first year shrinkers examine me in someplace safe, even like their "2B."

...ahhh, you know how I get on pomegranate juice...

Old 08-31-2018, 05:40 PM   #4

I thought it was coming along nicely. Polishing a re-curve is like trying to calm down a redhead...

DSC02339.JPG

DSC02350.JPG

DSC02351.JPG
Old 08-31-2018, 06:02 PM   #5

Just finished the stone polishing of the 5000 grit stone. It already shines, it's crazy sharp, and I'll bet you could do a moose with this thing.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:18 PM   #6

Chico, if I understand what you are saying, I will take it and gladly continue to support Jen and the House of Hope project. I'll send you a PM to confirm.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:49 PM   #7

Bingo! Charlie you are the winner!

I asked for 109 dollars so Jen doesn't have to pay the shipping. My wife and I can give her your donation in full.

I hope you like the knife, I'm half done polishing it, and it's already spooky!
Old 08-31-2018, 08:00 PM   #8

Thanks, Chico -- I am not sure I quite understand my growing fascination with your "spooky" knives, but I am going with it!
Old 08-31-2018, 08:11 PM   #9

I hope you're not a bleeder!

Charlie, your knife has been stone polished twice with a 5000 grit stone. As you can imagine, getting the scratches out of an convex curve can be daunting.

However, even at this low level of polishing you could cut and serve any form of meat I can think of--even the curved bevel of some fish steaks.

Since I am waiting for the new slurry, I will work my way out the stones to about 20K or 30K. If the scratches are out by then, I'll start with the paste and glass. I will also use the 3.2 million grit to make sure the surface is as pristine as I can get it.

I have several brand new slurry nano-cloth and glass polishers. I'm eager to see how this looks at 5.4 million grit!

I will keep you updated.

DSC02352.JPG

DSC02353.JPG
Chuck43 and OrmondB like this.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:36 PM   #10

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
munching on a bag of scalding shrapnel.
YUMMY!
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote