Super Steel Saturday - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2018, 08:29 AM   #1

Super Steel Saturday

OK, my EDC knife pile that needed attention was growing, the weather is not friendly for outside activities and Chico seems to be the only one polishing and posting around here. Sooo, I thought I would jump in to support him, with this pile (hopefully this pic posts thru).

If this works, you should see M390 Two Suns knife in the front, with ZT's in S35VN, Elmax, CTS-204P and S30VN

Should keep me busy for a couple of mornings. I will try to post some 'after' pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01Sep2018.jpg (2.75 MB, 15 views)
Chuck43, Marshall, 2sharp2 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Jflytle; 09-01-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-01-2018, 11:24 AM   #2

Ya' know, RustyIron is getting into polishing. And Trump is in the White House making it easier for corporations to form and make a profit.

What if all three of us formed a consortium?

Ooops, I almost slipped and said monopoly...
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:42 PM   #3

Jflytle, it is funny about the alloys we choose. For my Kizers I demand S35VN. For my Bradfords, it must be 3V.

If I'm going to the mall, I'd hate to use something good that's going into an evidence bag. My usual carry stuff is something like a Barge and/or a Spline.

If I'm going to be outside a lot (and my sinuses stopped that in its tracks) I like to carry a tanto style TOPS C.A.T.

Switchblades have to be Emerson-Protech or Protech, nothing else.

I had trouble with S30V. Got any secrets?
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:42 PM   #4

Chico,

I understand and appreciate your position. I would hate to lose one of my better knives to ‘evidence’. Having said that, I would rather have a quality edge when I need it, than not.

Truth be told, there are a number of lessor quality blades in the EDC rotation, with Boker’s, numerous D2 blades, etc. Sadly, my weekly wardrobe (suits) prevents me from fixed blades, but I am looking at a few neck knives (just in case).

Regarding the S30V, ask me in the morning. This is the 1st ‘new’ edge, as the factory edge held up for quite some time. I have it in the clamp, got the bevel reset where I want it (the factory edge was very inconsistent and steep), and I am resetting it to 21dsp. I got through 1k diamond this morning and the stones (2k-20k) will soak in the morning while coffee is cooking. Strop to 0.01 may be in order.

I did get the TwoSun M390 done this morning and my wife grabbed it back before I could get a picture. :-(

Stay tuned.
Chuck43 likes this.

Last edited by Jflytle; 09-01-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:05 AM   #5

Ok, so this morning I picked up with the ZT0350 in S30V. I actually deviated from yesterdays M390 stone 'cocktail' and went through natural vs synthetic stones.

I actually started by backing off to a ~600g oil stone, which gave me a more consistent muddy-ish complexion, and then moving up to a Belgian Bluestone (~3-4k). The Belgian was very consistent, though I had options to move over to the Chinese Bluestone or Sungari quartz.

I follow-up up with a Bakelite (~8k) and spent some extra time on the 'tail' of the stone working out some of the non-edge scratch marks. I then moved to the Natutaki Tomae, a very fine (12-15k) quartz that really sets up nicely for moving into strops.

Stropping for this knife consisted of 0.25 and 0.1um CBM emulsion on kangaroo.

I am going to try a natural stone combination on my Twosun M390. I was pleased with yesterdays synthetic stone finish, but would like to see which finish (synth vs nat) I like better.

Stay tuned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1395[1].JPG (2.81 MB, 8 views)
Chuck43 likes this.

Last edited by Jflytle; 09-02-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #6

So, this is the same steel that I did yesterday, TwoSun M390, slightly different blade design, but really holds an edge. Couple of changes from the ZT 0350.
- after the Belgian Blue I went to the Chinese Bluestone, which actually has an ever so slightly improved scratch pattern, so let's call it going from 3K to 4-5K
- Instead of ending the stone work with the Narutaki I went to a Belgian Coticule, which is supposed to be similar 12-15K quality.
- First strop was Kangaroo with 200k diamond paste followed by the 0.1um CBM on roo.

There are a couple of VERY small imperfections (opportunities) that I may follow-up on (later). I am impressed with M390. My wife is constantly opening cardboard boxes and her knife (yesterday) as well as mine barely showed any degradation of edge, after three (3) months.

More tomorrow. It stopped raining so time to get outside (taking coffee with me).

BTW, tomorrow I want to take on the CTS-204P ZT-0456, as this is supposed to be comparable to the M390.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1396[1].JPG (2.97 MB, 7 views)

Last edited by Jflytle; 09-02-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #7

So, today's adventure was a Zero Tolerance 0550BLK in S35VN, another one of the powder Super Steels. A slightly different cocktail for this one, again. The usual start of re-establish a good clean/consistent the bevel with the 600/1200 diamond and then switch over to the Belgian Blue, China Blue and Bakelite.

Here's the change, I switched back to synthetics in the form of Suehiro 10/15/20K, which did a nice job of stone 'polishing', which Ken Schwartz states will be equivalent of out to 30k, just the way they cut. Results probably beare that out.

I did finish this one off with the 100 & 200k diamond paste on Kangaroo strops. I do need to get more strop media now.

More tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1398[1].JPG (2.86 MB, 5 views)
The Tourist and JC45 like this.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Jflytle View Post
Ok, so this morning I picked up with the ZT0350 in S30V.
Nice polish. I had to straighten and polish almost all the early ZTs when they first came out--and I have pictures.

I did buy an early S30V knife, and noticed the middle of the edge appeared to have a "chain of pearls" on it. They were little chips.

To be fair, lots of knives of that era had problems. My wife bought a Boa of CPM-440V (now called S60V) and it was hardened to 69 Rc. It came with conchoidal fracture on the edge.

I like the 0350 better than the 0300 series. I wish they would make the smaller knife in S35VN.
Jflytle likes this.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #9

Chico,

I didn’t notice anything like that in this knife, though I have something similar in an HTM Gunhammer S90V folder. Just a couple of spots. I figure they will work their way out as I re-sharpen.

John
Old 09-03-2018, 05:33 PM   #10

Chips and dings are part of the job--I just didn't expect to find them on a new knife.

However it did teach me to keep my stone grits in a tight interval. No big gaps like going from 600 grit to 2000 grit.

Of course, then I found a ZT made from S35VN, and I knew my life had changed. Brad over at Bradford knives got me some 3V fixed blade knives for a nudge-nudge price, and it seemed like the world of metallurgy left me in the dust.

Having said that, I cannot dull the little Spline. And I've cut thread on the cuffs of my jeans with the little guillotine after having it bang around in my right front pocket without any sympathy.

Tomorrow the "Sneaky Pete" goes to its owner. I wrapped that so tight it ain't funny. I do not want that blade to scratch!
Jflytle likes this.