Like Tree13Likes
  • 7 Post By RustyIron
  • 2 Post By The Tourist
  • 3 Post By RustyIron
  • 1 Post By slanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2018, 10:49 PM   #1

I was frightened

I got home this afternoon and stopped by the mailbox on my way into the house. There were a couple packages, including one that caused my heart to skip a beat... my stomach to do flip-flops... and sweat to form on my brow. The offending shipment had a return address from a guy named Chico in Wisconsin.

Why the sudden bout of terror? Because I knew what I would do. I would touch the blade, despite being warned that it might earn me the nickname of Nine Fingers, Stumpy, or Red Stain Rob.

I had been drinking coffee and just had a chunk of dark chocolate. With these jitters, I dared not tickle this dragon right now. I set the package in the kitchen and went about chores that seemed less likely to induce loss of the precious B-positive.

After Mrs. Iron got home, I could put it off no longer. Now there would be a driver to put the severed appendage in a glass of milk and drive me to the hospital. I unboxed the knife. What did I find?

The prybar/skullcracker is pretty obvious. Looks like it will be handy. The frame has a really cool retro-industrial look. Black fasteners are a nice contrast with the unfinished frame. The lock has a ball/detent in the closed position, which holds the blade closed securely. Blade pivot is smooth enough. The lock clicks the exact same spot every time, and is easy release. The knife handles well.

Next is touching the blade. I was able to do it, and my finger isn't dangling by a tendon. But I sure wouldn't want to touch it accidentally. That would be a bummer. Rubbing it on a finger, you can feel the drag as it slightly cuts the epidermis. You can grab fingerprints if you tilt the blade over. Kinda cool, but not something you want to play with for very long.

Visually, the edge is like a mirror. But with the magnifier on, it's hard to be sure, because the super-smooth finish really shows fingerprints and skin cells.

I showed the Chicobarge to Mrs. Iron, and she liked it. It's now hers. Now my big concern is that I'll no longer be able to satisfy her with my asymmetrical edges on the kitchen knives that are only suitable for shaving the tough skin on the back of your arm.

Thanks, buddy. This is a cool knife with an impeccable edge. I think Mrs. Iron is really going to enjoy it.
Chuck43, CharlieW, 2sharp2 and 4 others like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-05-2018, 06:46 AM   #2

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Thanks, buddy. This is a cool knife with an impeccable edge. I think Mrs. Iron is really going to enjoy it.
You could start pulling some money together--and I mean "Guys and Dolls" type cash.

I just got some 5.4 million grit nanodiamond slurry.

I have a lot of therapy bills, as you can imagine. I was thinking of taking a Kizer, slurry polishing it, and just sending it to Doc. Ya' know, he'd have to send me a dozen of his favorite knives--and a blank check!

Edit: I appreciate the kind words, but there's not much difference between "fingerprint dust on the bevel" and "blood all over."
Chuck43 and RustyIron like this.

Last edited by The Tourist; 09-05-2018 at 06:48 AM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:26 AM   #3

The difference between fingerprint dust and leaking red liquid is merely a moment's lack of attention.

The cost of a bottle of diamonds isn't yet a concern for me. Before I go there, I need to throw down for a couple more rocks. You know, the little ones with the big numbers.

Now that I've seen what a properly polished knife should be, I have a target to which I can aspire.
CharlieW, The Tourist and Jflytle like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #4

I give up.
What knife are you talking about?
Sig P226
Sig P238
Sig P938
Sig P938-22
Springfield Armory EMP
Springfield Armory XDm 3.8
Colt New Agent
Colt LE6920 (2)
Ruger LCP
Ruger 22-45
Ruger 10-22
Glock 19
Glock 43
S&W Shield 9mm
trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #5

Chico hooked up my boy with a nice little fixed blade a few weeks ago. He loves it!!
The Tourist likes this.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #6

'Iron, it's probably a great time to call Ken Schwartz. When I spoke to him last he was cutting deals. It's the only way I could afford the 5.4 slurry.