Our friend is in trouble. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #1

Our friend is in trouble.

As you know I believe Ken Schwartz is the most honest tradesman I know. The pile of rocks I have are worth thousands, but I've never been asked to pay full price. He knows my knives and the goofy name Bada Bing Cutlery Emporium reaches people all over the states--and they buy his stones and slurry.

Last year his wife needed extensive surgery and rehabilitation. They even had to find an automobile she could get in and out of. I paid for an eye, so I cannot imagine what he paid for all of the things his wife needed.

He called me a few weeks ago and asked me if I needed anything. He told me he'd ship without a payment, and when I first balked, he cut the price. He sounded like he was in trouble.

Turns out his landlord has a pretty ironclad contract and wants Ken out in 60 days--and Ken hasn't done anything. But he is running up debts.

I paid my account in full despite the fact the stuff hasn't been shipped yet.

So if you guys need stones, pastes, slurry, glass, nanocloth or any other device you think you might need, please call Ken.

I have a roof over my head because of Ken and Ben Dale. Good people are in a scarce commodity. Give Ken a call for your orders.

Ken Schwartz--209-612-2790
bhunted likes this.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #2

I can be bought.

Attached please find a picture of the Barge damaged in shipping--either that, or they just trained a blind grinder. I do try to repair these knives, and I have to find something to keep my hands busy while the ink dries on the clients' knives.

You'll notice that the finish on the bevel is shinier than usual. Well, it should be. Eight stones, Alumina, black PDP, two passes of 3.2 million grit nanodiamond slurry and two passes of 5.4 million nanodiamond slurry.

Yes, 5.4 million. Not many polishers have that.

Added roughly in my head, it took 800 dollars of materials and man-hours to get a knife this sharp. And in all my years I never even held a knife like this, much less owned one.

Because it might have structural damage it is not for sale. But don't be disheartened.

Ken might be the most honest tradesman in cutlery, but I am not. There are polishers here and they'll need stuff. If they buy some stuff from Ken, I'll make sure their Barges go out as shiny and sharp as I know how to make them--still at 40.00 per each.

Yeah, it's a bribe. What, you expected me to play fair?

(BTW, no clients knives lost time on the fixture. My nano-knife was polished during the times of ink drying and stones soaking.)

(Click on picture to enlarge--it's worth it!)
DSC02365.JPG
Old 09-09-2018, 11:52 PM   #3

I'll call Ken some time this week. I'm out of town, and have limited phone access. What do you think? I already go to an orange 5k I got from Ken. 10k? 20k? Should I play with some diamonds?

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2018, 02:17 AM   #4

You may not need to go 20K, but you'll need a good 2000, the 5K and the 10K. Then you have to adjust your "feel." You start to make softer passes as the scratch patterns in the bevel dissipate.

Now, if you're doing a lot of high-end kitchen knives, yes, you will need a 20K stone. If the knife is being prepapred for a professional chef, yes, you'll probably need diamond slurry.

But the knife I carry to the gym is just a garden variety Barge at about 500,000 grit. Yeah, it's still a defensive tool, but I carry it more for trimming threads, opening mail, and doing quick jobs on the run.

I'd call Ken, discuss where your business and desire is, and let him make some suggestions. I use a black PDP (they come in numerous grit sizes) and I used that in kitchens for years before diamonds came out.

Here's his number again---Ken Schwartz--209-612-2790
Old 09-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #5

Thought of starting a donate campaign? We hate Kickstartr (cause it censors and chucks off folks they don't like... damned lib-prog-commies!) but two recommended are: https://www.gofundme.com/start/medical-fundraising and https://fundly.com/. (Dunno if they censor, just know KickStr. sucks.)

I do not want to buy polishing gear, but I'd kick in some funds cause he's your friend...
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #6

Originally Posted by SnowTao View Post
I do not want to buy polishing gear, but I'd kick in some funds cause he's your friend...
That would be generous, and technically, you are a client. Everything on your knives is a Schwartz product.

I have some very high end knives (called Whalers) and I was going to put them in a box bound for California.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:20 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I have some very high end knives (called Whalers)

My curiosity got the best of me are these Whalers, and if so what is the purpose of the fat blade?
2sharp2, Jflytle and Loki1967 like this.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #8

There is a gland called "ambergris." While smelly when removed, it was mixed with French perfume, as the gland made the aroma of expensive perfume last longer. A wide blade did not "wander" through whale blubber, so accurate cuts would not damage the gland.

Essentially, the design of the Whalers has not changed since 1830. Most of these knives stopped being made as of 2011.
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #9

Chuck, I have four in pristine condition. They all have different materials for handle inserts. Like Cocobolo, black onyx, chipped bone and something called "lava."

The going rate is around 400 bucks. I figured with 1,600 dollars he could pay rent, buy some groceries and perhaps shunt some off to cover his wife's medicine.

As you know, a few missing knives isn't a big problem here. I know the issues. My wife still hasn't got her crown. The doc says there's a crack, but a crown isn't "medically necessary" now.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:51 PM   #10

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
That would be generous, and technically, you are a client. Everything on your knives is a Schwartz product.
Sweetie, that doesn't answer my question: for folks who WANT to support Ken, because YOU like him, how do we do so?
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote