Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By The Tourist
  • 2 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #1

Preparing a knife for a Navy SEAL.

A member here wanted a Christmas gift for a SEAL. Since other Barges were required, I decided to prepare a Barge for the SEAL, as well. The polish is done differently. You have to sharpen and polish the tip differently.

If you take any knife and look at it from the top, you'll see that the back of the blade nearest the handle is thicker than the tip. If you just make the bevel even, you thin the tip even more. For a jackknife, this is pretty much the norm, and that's why they put a prying device on the handle of the Barge.

For the "SEAL version," I began just making the bevels uniform front to back and then right to left. Now, hang onto your breakfast!

I then take the perfect edge over to the obsidian stone, place the bevel on the stone and flatten about 5/8s of the tip of the bevel!

I can hear the surprise from my chair. "Chico, we all know you're insane, why would destroy a bevel you worked on for an hour?"

Very simple. As the tip gets higher on the blade stock it gets thicker and hence stronger. With luck, the SEAL will only use this Barge to open MREs. But what if he has to punch the knife through something, or some jihadist. Lousy time to snap a tip.

You then take the knife and "nibble" the tip a little and 'flip' it. Several times. Several times until you're bored. Several times until it's perfect.

See the pictures below. The next step will be a Nubatama speckled 2000 and I'll refine any small nuances left. But as I placed the edge into bright light for the picture, the edge does not reflect light. It will get sharper as finer stones are used.

But the tip is up the blade blank farther, and hence stronger.

DSC02380.JPG

DSC02381.JPG

DSC02382.JPG
OLE442, If1Hitu, JC45 and 1 others like this.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:47 PM   #2

I haven't had much practice with the 5.4 million grit slurry, so it's better to work on a daily knife. I dinged my pocket carry Barge, so I fixed the edge and then sprayed a nano-cloth with 3.2 slurry and 5.4 slurry. Ken told me to let them dry.

After the repair, I rubbed down the edge and rinsed it in scalding water and took a simple picture.

Yeah, I guess the 5.4 slurry works...

DSC02383.JPG
If1Hitu and Loki1967 like this.