What do you do with a poorly built knife? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2018, 04:06 PM   #1

What do you do with a poorly built knife?

As I stated, today is Sabbath for us SDA Branch Davidians. I also believe that if there's a charitable bone in my body I'm certain there's a Higher Power with a better plan. I'm was just the messenger for the little redhead.

But I was now a knife short, and I like to have spares. I sorted out the Barges I had left, and knew I'd call Sheila on Monday. However, I would never take a perfect knife for my personal use, I can fix the worst, and I found it!

Cosmetic mark on the pry tool. More bevels than an engagement ring. At least it locked tight or it would have been shipped back to Blue Ridge.

I flattened my stones, and as they soaked I took a an Atoma 140 and tried to shape the bevels. The tip was so far off I got the obsidian brick, and just removed the entire bevel all the way to the shinogi line. This was going to be a complete tear down and rebuild.

Now, I reached that "frustrated point" and my wife and I stopped for coffee. I got home, tried to nap, but it wasn't going to happen.

I put on a new edge, chided myself, stoned it off and tried again. I did this at least five times on the left tip. Then almost by dumb luck the knot of mangled steel became a perfect folder--front to back and left to right.

Now this was supposed to be a jackknife, just a tool. But I'd spoken to Ken Schwartz about nanodiamonds and he gave me some pointers. I'd already used five stones, paste and glass--heck, what's a small fortune of diamonds worth now?

I polished the bevels with glass and got all of the visible marks out, you have to start there with diamonds. Then I "roughed it in" with the 3.2 million grit slurry. I'm not kidding.

Then using Ken's directions, I spritzed on a king's ransom of 5.4 million grit slurry to a nano-cloth mount, and started polishing.

After the slurry, I bathed the entire knife in scalding hot soap suds to remove any dirt or film that might have covered a flaw. Then I touched the knife to newsprint, and it fell through without leaving any ragged edge.

After the knife was blown thoroughly to remove water and dust, I handed the knife carefully to my wife and asked her to find a flaw. She doesn't as yet know of my hourly time, my use of stones, pastes, glass and two grades of slurry--let that be our secret!

She could not find even a smudge.

BTW, I placed the knife onto two playing cards to show this is a different knife--that, and it kept the edge from carving itself through the table!

I've dallied with the slurry, but never took the fateful jump until today. It reminded me of a quote from Hunter Thompson:

"...it's hard to believe there's a perfect machine, screaming along in the hands of a maniac..."

And I admit as I type this, Mr. Thompson was right.

(Enlarge the pictures! It's worth it!)

DSC02384.JPG

DSC02385.JPG
RustyIron and Bigdog like this.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:21 AM   #2

Man, that's pretty hardcore. I've been reading about these barges since joining, and I have to say my curiosity is really getting to a peak. To answer your question though: what I do with a poorly built knife, is try to identify the problem, then take it apart and make it better. 9/10 times this ends with the knife in pieces all over my workbench which I can't reassemble, and that's how they stay. That bench is probably quite a safety hazard at this point...
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:37 AM   #3

Oh, I have a little tackle box full of fasteners and Number 6 Torx bits. When a knife comes apart, I save the good pieces. I also bought packets of clips and screws from the manufacturers because a bent pocket clip is the the most common repair--that, or a lost screw.

I hope SnowTao blows up the first picture, the blade perfectly reflected the eye of The Queen.
Ice-and-Snow likes this.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:54 AM   #4

I'm pretty sure he's seeing everything through a red filter right now...
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #5

It never ceases to amaze me how polished you get these. One of these days I'm going to order a couple from you.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #6

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Then almost by dumb luck the knot of mangled steel became a perfect folder--front to back and left to right.
Yeah yeah, I know you refuse to acknowledge publicly that you're a G.D. EXPERT!!!!! So, I'm going to do it for you -- AND yell a you!!!

It's NOT DUMB LUCK!!! It's (your!) expert hands, with several weeks of ongoing practice working (one might even call it HONING!) your hands to do what's needful by ingrained skill, without you needing to THINK about it!! DEFINITION OF EXPERT!!! {grumble grumble} FALSE humility is NOT humility!: it's "humble bragging"!

So, NEXT time, you pull off a knife miracle, perhaps describe it as:
And because my hands now know what my mind can't explain about how to fix a knife edge, it turned out AMAZING!

BTW, I placed the knife onto two playing cards to show this is a different knife--that, and it kept the edge from carving itself through the table!
And yup! Your first pic caused me to GASP!

WOWZERS! Fantastic edge! Absolutely amazing -- but NOT surprising! (So quit denigrating your skills! Doggone it!)

Wildly applauding you, even as I'm yelling at you!! (Michael used to say: it's NOT bragging if it's TRUE!)

p.s., you should send that pic to Kershaw to advertise with!!
Jflytle likes this.

Last edited by Ice-and-Snow; 09-24-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #7

Originally Posted by SnowTao View Post
p.s., you should send that pic to Kershaw to advertise with!!
As you may remember, Doc and I got into it with ZT reps over their Q/c and horrid edges. (A full page, rear page ad on a knife magazine showed the skull of a gorilla, and a ZT turned upside-down, exposing a rippled edge).

My contact, Diane, "mysteriously" lost her job. Doc took a ZT I polished for him to the manager of ZT at a trade show and showed him how it easily opened and was sharper and straighter than his employees could produce.

Cutlers and trades-people haunt knife forums just like any good salesman does. If something is trending, they don't want to be the last one to hear the news.

My take is simple. The big manufacturers are already buying sharpening supplies. Why not Japanese stones?
Bigdog likes this.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #8

...everything smells like swarf and iced coffee...

'Snow, all three of your knives are "mid-range" polished, straight, true and amazingly sharp at this level. The first two will go together, then the SEAL knife last. Which begs a question.

How sharp should the SEAL knife go?
Old 09-25-2018, 09:12 AM   #9

...everything smells like swarf and iced coffee...

'Snow, all three of your knives are "mid-range" polished, straight, true and amazingly sharp at this level. The first two will go together, then the SEAL knife last. Which begs a question.

How sharp should the SEAL knife go?
Your call, oh sharpening expert!! He's a very thoughtful careful deliberate machinist. Oh, and a trained killer! {wink})

But I WOULD like you to post pix of his knife as you're working o nit, so I can show him what he's getting for xmas!!
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:40 AM   #10

Chico, can you give us your definition of a "cheap" knife. Cheap to one person is not cheap to another!