Preparing a Barge for a Navy SEAL. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2018, 02:16 PM   #1

Preparing a Barge for a Navy SEAL.

A client recently asked me to prepare a Barge for a SEAL. And as you know, I'm a bit behind on my polishing. Right now I would like to explain the tip and why it's modified.

It is quite common for hard use knives to have their tips broken. If it's a jackknife or hunting knife, I usually just dress the spine down and blend the bevel into the new tip. My guess is that a SEAL plays hard with his toys, and I wanted to enhance the tip.

As you know the tip of a knife is tapered in two ways. First, look down at the top of the knife, the blade blank is wide by the handle, and it narrows towards the tip. This is known as "the distal taper."

Two, if you want the bevel to be uniform with the back of the edge, you're actually thinning the tip from the side. In most cases, the knife will last forever, or I can fix it.

But a SEAL doesn't often find a working togishi in the field. If he breaks something it's gone. So I had a lame idea that works.

I cut the bevel to uniform specs with an Atoma 140, just like any other knife. Then I take the knife over to the obsidian block and cut the tip bevel off about 5/8s of inch back. This cut touches the shinogi line (that's where the bevel touches the cosmetic portion of the knife) and blends into the existing bevel I just cut.

Then you flip-snip-flip snip until you've made a new tip which matches the existing bevel. Why, you might ask.

The edge of any knife is the thinnest part. By removing the factory tip, I have "moved" the tip into a thicker portion of the blade blank. Granted, the prying tool on the end of the handle will take a pounding, but the SEAL might have to cut something tough--like the combat boot of a wounded compatriot.

This is putzy, nerve wracking work--the middle of the knife was never supposed to be the edge. But it's worrisome to send a knife to a SEAL on Monday and get it back on Wednesday with a nice note saying, "I broke it."

DSC02389.JPG

DSC02390.JPG
Chuck43, Dude22, bhunted and 3 others like this.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:12 PM   #2

All inked up, and a 4K stone soaking. For some reason the Barge does not care for the 5K rock. Perhaps it was too big a jump to go from 2K to 5K, although most other knives have no trouble if I cut a uniform bevel.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:24 AM   #3

Chico -- I LOVE you! (Most of the time!! ) Thanks for the explanation! (I know a SEAL who is going to love this knife! )
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2018, 05:41 AM   #4

Let's see if you "love" me after today's appointment. My doc dropped a comma on one of the forms sent over from The Sons of the Sicilian Mafia. He has to examine me again. I'm not kidding, SSM 'sent' for me.

If I can get a spare copy of their company's parameters, it reads like 1984.

I might need this SEAL's help...
Old 10-03-2018, 08:06 AM   #5

Using finer stones to make the bevel uniform and mating right into the tip area, I finally finished the stone work.

(Yes, that polish was done with stones).

The SEAL could actually take the knife to deployment now, but I am going to polish the edge with glass and some of Ken Schwartz's applications.

DSC02391.JPG
Old 10-03-2018, 11:22 AM   #6

Beautiful, Chico!

Here, I cut the photo up to show just the edge... Pretty! (And pretty amazing!)

I don't see any diff between any portion of the blade or the edge... What am I looking for? Don't see anything...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edge.jpg (161.4 KB, 11 views)
Jflytle likes this.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #7

You're not supposed to see anything. But notice how the tip does not rest on the card. It is curved more than a stock Barge, that has a bit of an upturn, not not that much.

If I could have gotten the blade flat to the table, the tip would be dramatically off the level.

I'm going to polish the knife now.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #8

...oy vey, I'm done...

Just finished the SEAL's knife--the first time. Found a rub mark. Dug out something abrasive, fixed the rub mark and polished the knife again. Found a rub mark on the other side. Polished the knife yet again.

By the way, I hope this SEAL is not an emerald kind of guy. All I have is diamonds...

I tickled the dragon, the tip nibbled on me.

DSC02394.JPG

DSC02393.JPG

DSC02392.JPG
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:33 AM   #9

Yippee!

Guess what **I** got yesterday!?

This one is for my Navy SEAL subcontractor machinist.... so it's a SPECIAL ChicoBarge! To go with: I made up a PDF of the photos and descriptions of what Chico did (all the above posts) -- and included the BadaBing Cutlery address for his LifeSharp -- telling my SEAL to just tell Chico "he's Elenor's SEAL"!

My family calls me the 'instant gratification kid' -- so I'll be giving him his 'business Christmas bonus' early -- probably today!

I've started using automotive clearcoat spray paint on the gauge bodies -- looks pretty darned good too, yes?

The knife looks extraordinary!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USN-SEAL-3A.jpg (3.72 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg USN-SEAL-5A.jpg (2.43 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg USN-SEAL-7A.jpg (3.62 MB, 8 views)
Chuck43 and The Tourist like this.

Last edited by Ice-and-Snow; 10-10-2018 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:01 AM   #10

Yeah, I like that shade of blue.

I'm also glad you like the SEAL knife. Yes, the bevel looks good, but as I tell my client, the edge is represented by the bevel. If the bevel is a series of scratches, so is the edge.

I must confess, polishing for the military makes me careful, even too careful. I usually polish them twice, most often three times. Someone's life maybe hanging on a simple slice.

(BTW, I blew up the first picture to see the logo. Nice sharp lines, very nicely done).