Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By The Tourist
  • 1 Post By The Tourist
  • 1 Post By bhunted
  • 4 Post By The Tourist
  • 3 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2018, 01:49 AM   #1

Polishers should not be allowed to think.

When you polish, even three knives at a time, there's a lot of down time. The stones have to soak, and each alloy might respond to a differing grit stone. The ink has to dry on the bevel. Some edges start to form within ten minutes, then again, some knives take days to finish.

I spend as much time waiting for conditions to be right as I do working.

So in my boredom, I started to think. I said to myself, "Myself, a Barge is one of the best jackknives made, how far can you "push it"?

So I looked through the jumble of Barges I still had, and I found one with a good lock and an atrocious bevel. That bevel would have taken hours to fix, but it might only take 15 minutes to a half an hour to remove completely.

So I took a 140 Atoma and removed the entire mess. I had a uniform roughed-in bevel of 13 degrees. I inked it, and then got back to real work. As the rotation continued, I then took a 600 grit stone and removed the scratch pattern from the rejected knife.

It is a 'reject' no more. It has a wide, dangerous and perfect bevel that's going to be sharper than a sushi knife.

Maybe I should think more often...
Chuck43, bhunted and RustyIron like this.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:28 AM   #2

I just finished the 4000 grit stone. I was going to stone polish it and make a "tool" for myself. Then I noticed the two bottles of slurry...
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:55 AM   #3

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I just finished the 4000 grit stone. I was going to stone polish it and make a "tool" for myself. Then I noticed the two bottles of slurry...

You didn’t drink them I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck43 likes this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2018, 05:11 AM   #4

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
You didn’t drink them I hope.
Nope, just cold coffee or cold water. Nothing else goes into "the temple" but psychotropic drugs. But, it is lonely at restaurants, no one sits by me.

You see, "crazy and calm" really gets to people. Did you ever see one of those reporters on the street after some lunatic goes through a neighborhood half naked and swinging a machete?

They always tell the reporter, "It's so strange, he was a quiet lad..."
Old 10-20-2018, 05:26 AM   #5

I'm not super clear on what your business actually is. Do you take in other polishing work or is that just a side hobby with Barges and whatever else catches your interest and gets you... thinking?
I have a brand new Kershaw Cryo (my favorite EDC for the last couple years) in the drawer, as a spare in case I lose/destroy my main one. Wondering if there's a chance I could ship it over to get that edge Touristed, then put it back in the box to only be taken out and gazed at lovingly when I'm having a bad day.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:32 AM   #6

Yeah, I polish anything. In fact, your Barge is half done.

And I'll do it for a member, but truth be told, I wanted to retire three years ago. I couldn't find an apprentice, I figured The Red Queen wasn't going to call me (it had been 40 years) so I kept polishing.

I also have a Spyderco a guy sent me that needs to go back. And I still have to buy Subway sandwiches, so it's "nose to the grindstone." Except, you know, there's no grindstone just rocks a few thousand years old...
Old 10-20-2018, 05:57 AM   #7

I'm working on three other knives as I do my this personal Barge. There's lots of time between soaking the stones and inking the bevels.

I started to wonder what would happen if I used all the antique glass, all the Schwartz PDPs, then finish-polished with the 3.2 million grit slurry to make sure there were no scrtaches for when I used the 5.4 million grit slurry.

Well, sir, let me tell you. I went to "tickle the dragon," and I couldn't. The moment I laid the tips of three of my fingers on the edge, the piranha nibbled. You cannot touch the edge.
Chuck43, Dude22, bhunted and 1 others like this.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:50 AM   #8

Well, six hours to make a knife, that's reasonable...

I finished "The Shredder" but because we canceled our newspaper, I could not cut a date for the glamor shot. You guys know it's today.

I hate to sound cliché, this knife is sharper than a sushi chef's. I would not have believed this alloy would hold an edge in this range.

Don't worry, the Bargest is safely in my pants, and will not be drawn except in extreme anger.

I'm now waiting for a call from Doc, asking how much this "double polish" costs. As for my wife, I think she figures it's just a Barge.

DSC02405.JPG

DSC02404.JPG
Dude22, bhunted and Jflytle like this.

Last edited by The Tourist; 10-20-2018 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typed ally instead of alloy
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote