Kimber Talk Forums banner

Lightning Struck Twice!

442 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  The Tourist 
#1 ·
The Kershaw Barge is also popular with my local clients. I always keep a few for immediate delivery since the girls at Barnes & Noble use this knife for their shifts on the loading dock.

I opened a box, and took the knives out to check for defects. As you know, I found a perfect one last week and re-profiled it for myself.

As I go through the inventory, I could not believe my eyes! I got a second perfect knife!

Yes, there are some marks on it, but those come out fairly easy. This knife had a gentle re-curve that I like, and the lock was a little off to the left--guaranteeing years of service.

(When you view the picture of the lock, look at the left side. You will see the entire left side appears black, but the lock is perfectly installed).

I'm not going to tell my wife I found another. To take any knife "to the edge" requires four to seven stones, three strips of glass, three Alumina and PDP polishes, and two slurries.

Just that is 390 bucks, so it's just our secret...

Click on pictures to enlarge.

Wood Tool Knife Blade Everyday carry

Brown Amber Wood Wood stain Hardwood

See less See more
#2 ·
...on second thought...

So I'm working on my Barge, assuming everyone got their knives, when I received an order for Christmas. I hope I can fill it. But it got me thinking. These clients are going to use their knives, why can't I?

I mean, I have a drawer full of flawless beauties and I don't use half of those. What I needed was a jackknife.

So I got out the shaping stones, made the bevels uniform, got out the mid-grit stones and polished with one tape. Then I used a mid grit Alumina until I got a shine and flawless edge--and then I quit.

I'm guessing, 250,000 grit, tops.

Oh, the bevel is even, there are no scratches or buff marks, but if you set it next to one knife to took to the limit, you can see the difference. But it will cut anything, and I don't have to worry about it. A repair on this knife would take 30 minutes, an hour maybe.

And if I change my mind, I know a polisher...

Sleeve Art Eyewear Creative arts Bag

Sleeve Knife Tool Hunting knife Everyday carry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.