Had to happen sooner or later. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2018, 03:20 AM   #1

Had to happen sooner or later.

As most of you know, I've had some serious bouts with anxiety and PTSD. This last week was an "8" for no apparent reason at all. Life is good, no hypochondria attacks.

But every day there's some new wrinkle. Now I'm getting forgetful. Simple stuff, eye-glasses in the refrigerator, walking into a room and forgetting why, doing all my errands and then tossing and turning that I missed something.

So, my wife and I had a talk. She's going to cut down on subbing at her school, and as of the first of the year, 2019, I am going to retire.

I have a list of outstanding work, and of course, "life sharp" will always be honored. In fact, two of the other polishers I know dropped off the face of the earth. I will route new clients to other polishers through Ken.

When the list is done, so am I. And I have a drawer full of expensive knives I've coveted and never used--they will be sold.

I've contacted my family doctor and he's going to get me a therapist trained in PTSD, which has plagued me since I was four years old.

But it's a dying art, and I see less and less folded steel every year. I cannot even find an apprentice--my work does not need a computer, so you can say good-bye to millennial polishers. But it's been a good run, but all good things come to an end.
Shoot4Fun likes this.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:57 AM   #2

I'm no Yoda, but I suspect he would counsel, "Act not rashly, you should." Dumping all your knives and stones might not be the path to happiness.

But then again, Jesus might ask, "Hey, brah. Why you coveting so many knives you'll never use?"

The wisest of them all, Nik Wallenda, might advise, "Seek balance, grasshopper."

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:05 AM   #3

Actually, I'm seeking a wealthy buyer.

When I went through the closet a few days ago I found stuff that even made me blush.

And I'm not totally quitting. Just no more restaurants, or women's styling salons, or bachelor parties. Just locals.

Funny how you mention "Jesus" and "coveting." I had that chat in a prayer two days ago. I bought a knife I really wanted but didn't need and I haven't touched it since.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #4

RustyIron, I felt bad about buying the knife, and I "asked for a sign."

I read your post, and the knife is now up for sale.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:05 AM   #5

Dear Tourist: I never met you, except through this forum. I have admired your work from afar. As my doctor told me, "Getting old is not for sissies." It is a tough realization that we are not 28 any more. I wish you the very best in your decisions, health and well being. I have always enjoyed your posts, your work and your out look. Happy Trails my brother.
Chief1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #6

Thanks, Chief. I think the slower pace will help my outlook, and also allow me to study other forms of polishing.

I stone polished a knife for myself. Hey, it was big stuff 800 years ago...
Old 11-13-2018, 04:33 PM   #7

So, do forum members fall in the "restaurants, salons and parties" category, or the "locals" category? Just, you know. Curious.
JBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:18 PM   #8

Taken as a whole, I'd say most are chronically bewildered. But who am I to pick nits. But if they have money, they get their knife sharpened.

JBear, you own one of my knives, you get "life sharp." It's a free service.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:45 PM   #9

Well, having just yelled at you for a good solid half hour, let me add:

If you think you have too many knives, then pick a REASONABLE number (and if you struggle with that word, keep reminding yourself that you do NOT have only one gun... and Karen does NOT only have one hobby, and you don't drink only one cawfee and so on)... so, pick a reasonable number (call me and I'll yell at you to RAISE IT!), pick out that number of the best and most wonderful knives in your stash that bring you JOY (because that is what God INTENDS for you!!! STOP refusing him that pleasure! It's selfish you you to keep denying Him the smile He gets when you stroke and pet a lovely knife!) and then sort out the remaining knives.

You can either make a list and sell them to your KT friends (since you say your prepper friends mostly aren't interested). But, you can 'cut down' your stash without the stupid, inappropriate self-abnegation you are ill with!!

So, find a number, then call me and get yelled at. IF you need it -- and I'd suggest you don't -- you can pick out a few for charity and do that again, too. See if there is one (or two) that Doc might want and overcharge him.

{grumble grumble} You don't suffer with 'false' humility, you suffer with STUPID self-abnegation. Cut it out!
Chuck43 likes this.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Damn girl, you made an entire post using only 5 paragraphs and for the first time I agree with everything you said.