Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #1

Any knife can be repaired...

...and this one proves it!

One of the girls at Barnes & Noble was about to start her first shift a an employee a few weeks ago, and naturally, they had her scheduled to the area where shipping boxes are opened and books are sorted. Granted, it's not a coal mine, but everything is dusty from being loaded into a semi and hauled across the country. They tell you to wear old clothes.

I noticed that she did not have a pocket clip, so I stopped her and gave her my Barge. I assumed she was a rookie, she was grateful and I said "Happy Birthday." Must have been a farm girl or a dueler, you should see her with a sharp knife! Now I was a knife down.

I sorted through the old Barges, and found one with a good "left side proud" lock. I figured, "Heck, I can sharpen anything." Yikes.

To make the story short, I don't think the two sides of the knife where hollow ground to the same depth or shape. The right side was perfect, the left side was a disaster. The bevel did not have a shapely double re-curve, so I re-profiled the edge as an arch.

Due to the factory grind, the left side bevel is wider than the right to get the edge down the exact center of the blank.

I had to adjust the angles numerous times since the right and left did not agree. The polishing was the easy part, and I treated myself to slurry.

Oh, if you ever get a knife from me with a "blue tail," do not touch the edge. I'm using that as an in-house way to tell slurried blades from the polished ones.

DSC02426.JPG

DSC02427.JPG

DSC02428.JPG
Bigdog likes this.