Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By The Tourist
  • 1 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #1

Repairing working knives.

When Chuck created this section of the forum, he discussed getting members into DIY projects. If memory serves, I think three members went into polishing, one of them went professional.

I like to do EDC knives. Yeah, it's harder, and years of work have made bevels of differing widths, flat spots, rounded tips and chips. This is where you earn your pay.

Below is a client's knife that is only stone polished.

The paper and glass will come later this afternoon, but if the client needed to run to work, the knife is ready now. Yeah, yeah, I know, I have to clean the ink, fingerprints and swarf off the tool, but it cuts, and the tip is pointy.

I can only echo Chuck's idea. Several of us will take a Kimber apart to find a flaw or broken spring--and we think nothing of it. The same ideal goes for knives, too.

In a few days when the client gets his knife back, it will be slicing, cutting and whittling dowels just like before. In other words, "working for a living."

DSC02435.JPG
Old 12-08-2018, 01:33 PM   #2

Well, 24 years have seemed to just come and go. But I have to be honest, I'm glad this is the last commercial knife I will have done as a professional polisher.

Oh, I still have "life sharp" duties, but those are my bevels, and amazingly easy to line up.

Let me tell you about this knife. This is a working knife, and as such it has to be sharp, but the edge has to be able to take some hits. I'f found that 500,000 grit is just about right. So I fixed the edge, and buffed out the marks and took the final pictures.

Imagine my surprise when I found out the left side of the knife was so polished it "flashed out" the detail of the bevel.

Oh, as a working knife, I'll see this little folder again. But it's the last one of a very long line.

DSC02437.JPG

DSC02438.JPG
Chuck43, Jflytle and DaVinci like this.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #3

I'm sure you have explained before, most likely before I joined. but please tell me the significance of the various cards you use in your images.
DeOlMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #4

Originally Posted by DeOlMan View Post
I'm sure you have explained before, most likely before I joined. but please tell me the significance of the various cards you use in your images.
Cards are made with lines, colors, faces and dots. Any flaw in the bevel will show a defect in the reflection.

I do not do this just for the reflection. If the bevel is straight, so will the edge of the edge. If there's a flaw in the reflection, there's undoubtedly a flaw in the edge.

If nothing else, it warns me of a polishing error--no matter how small--and I can repair it before the knife is shipped.
DeOlMan likes this.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #5

I love me a Kershaw Cryo!
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:30 PM   #6

When you are talking about polishing you do, am I correct in assuming you are referring to the edge and not the blade?
DeOlMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:14 AM   #7

Oh, it could be both. If a knife is worn or showing the signs of corrosion, the decorative part of the blade is polished as well.

Sometimes a knife is taken apart to grease or repair the thrust-washers or the pivot.