This is why I polish. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2018, 07:41 AM   #1

This is why I polish.

I have done a bit of folded steel sharpening and polishing, but nothing gets my blood up like watching a professional use a knife I worked on.

I took a client and his wife to the old Ginzu of Tokyo. I also took a polished folded knife. I kept it in the box. Finally, the chef asked me if I knew what that was, and I admitted I was a polisher. He lined up about ten items on the grill, took my knife and made one swipe. All the food fell in half.

Needless to say, he used my knife to cook dinner.

But there are Japanese chefs most Americans have never seen. Watch the video, I think they know a guy...

Jflytle and DeOlMan like this.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #2

WOW! I am duly impressed. I need to sit down and do some work on on my kitchen cutlery. I am fair at sharpening but not that good. I had sharpened my knives one time and and my BIL who is a chef used one. The first cut he made almost went through the cutting board. He had a little more respect after that.

Thanks for sharing.
Jflytle likes this.
DeOlMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #3

Such Knives would be illegal here since everything else is just about to be illegal.
Jflytle likes this.
barrelshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018, 03:45 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum barrelshine, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?
Old 12-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #5

While it doesn't require it often, I enjoy polishing our Hattori. It's also scary to watch my wife (who's left handed) slice vegetables with a piece of folded metal that costs more than my first car.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #6

I wish I could send you my wife's Miyabi's.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #7

Those are the types of knives I enjoy polishing. But I also researched the brand, and most of my polishing would cost more than the knife. And it's not the slurry, but how I prepare the knife for the slurry.

To get to that point, I'd use seven stones, three glass mounts, two or three Schwartz pastes and emulsions, some 3.2 slurry and finally some of the 5.4 slurry. That's at least four days.

The stones cost about the same price each, but it's the labor. And if the previous togishi did not make a bevel uniform, there are repair costs--and you take a little nibble, stop and inspect. Than another nibble, stop and inspect.

Talk to Doc, he's sent me knives I was afraid to touch. If you wish, and your wife has a smaller favorite folded steel knife that needs work, I can do it.

Be advised, it would be a few hundred dollars. You simply cannot make a mistake.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #8

Aw, those poor gorgeous monstrous-huge tunas... We're over fishing and ruining the seas... But, whew! Beautiful!
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:26 PM   #9

My EDC is freshly polished... one of my nicest edges. Yesterday I was working on a circuit board with a broken capacitor. The lead was broken off flush with the plastic. I whipped out my giant tactical knife and daintily shaved away thin slices of plastic until there was enough of the lead to solder to. The thin slices of plastic would have made a sushi chef proud.

Carrying a crazy sharp knife is cool, but using it to perform a critical task is what really puts a smile on my face.
Chuck43 likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:02 AM   #10

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Be advised, it would be a few hundred dollars. You simply cannot make a mistake.
Yeah, this was my assumption. And even if I'd assumed incorrectly, I'd still have to talk her into parting with them... which might be the hard part either way
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote