If it had to happen, I'm glad it was me. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #1

If it had to happen, I'm glad it was me.

As you know, I'm a great fan of Kizer knives. They used to go for around 200 to 400 dollars, but a year ago the price dropped on one model to 47 bucks. That's not a misprint, 47 bucks. I bought three of them.

Recently I decided to use one, frankly because for a Kizer it was butt ugly. Still it was fitted beautifully, the lock was off center "left proud" as they should always be, and they came sharp. I picked each one up and looked for flaws. I found one with a slight flat spot on the edge about 3/8s of an inch below the tip. The rest of the edge looked fine.

Ha. The laugh was on me. The edge was crooked, and that surprised me more than anything. It took me an entire afternoon to straighten the thing out.

Usually I would then go to the 600 Nubatama and work out the scratch pattern and check the bevel for more flaws. I had a bad feeling, so I used a 200 Nubatama which isn't much different from shaping Atoma.

Good thing. The edge still had high and low spots. Again, hours lost.

The next stone will be that 600. The edge is forming and the tip is starting to match the bevel.

I'm glad I got it. Could you imagine your average Joe who only owned Crock Sticks or inherited his Grandpa's oil stone? Yikes, he's still be trying to put an edge on the knife!

Yes, I'm going to end this tale with slurry and patience. But this knife goes into my pants. After all, the other two are perfect...
Chuck43 and Dude22 like this.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #2

I won't worry until you start handing those to newly-met redheads and then turning your back.
Chuck43 likes this.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:04 AM   #3

Good idea. However, this Kizer is made from S35VN, has thick liners, and a stout handle. The only thing I can reasonably see the knife doing is dressing a moose or a 6x6. A guide who took clients above the tree-line would find this knife perfect. To a common knife collector, it's a boat anchor.

Well, I did say that retirement would have some experimentation...

Old 12-15-2018, 03:24 AM   #4

Well, the 600 Nubatama just removed about +90 percent of the flaws. Looks like the next step is the 2000 speckled and then the 4000.

I do have a 6000 I've never used, and I'd like to try it to make sure all the "hills and valleys" are out of the knife. We all know guys who make the last shot of a deer at dusk and then try to beat the light field dressing the thing.

It's kind of a challenge to build a knife for both wildebeest and rhinoceros...
Old 12-15-2018, 05:44 AM   #5

Seems easy when it works...

DSC02442.JPG
Jflytle and faultball like this.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:20 AM   #6

Witchcraft!
Old 12-15-2018, 06:34 AM   #7

Oh, you flatterer! You just want a slurry knife that costs 47 bucks...
Old 12-15-2018, 06:35 AM   #8

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Seems easy when it works...

Attachment 108832
I can usually get away with a 600 if it's simply refreshing an edge, before working up the progression. For 'fixing' bevels, poor factory grinds I often have to go down to the 150 and then build back up.

This edge looks much better, more uniform. Cant wait to see the result. S35V take a very nice edge and polish.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:45 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Jflytle View Post
This edge looks much better, more uniform. Cant wait to see the result. S35V take a very nice edge and polish.
The hardest part was getting the curve of the tip to properly mate with the bottom straight edge.

But this is one of those projects that makes you wonder what you're going to do with it. I don't hunt buffalo. My Barge works fine. My Spline is a scalpel and I own an Hattori to cook dinner--I don't think Wolfgang Puck owns an Hattori.

I have an idea, but the last time that happened I got four days in "2B" at St. Mary's Hospital. Some people just can't think outside the box.

Edit: I did have to start with a black 220 Nubatama. That S35VN really fights you.
Jflytle likes this.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #10

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Oh, you flatterer! You just want a slurry knife that costs 47 bucks...
Hey, science has always been sorcery before the light of understanding gets turned on.

Edit: that having been said, I wouldn't say no to one!
Jflytle likes this.