I cannot believe this! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #1

I cannot believe this!

I got my new monthly catalog from Blue Ridge, and then cross checked the info with their computer listings. I have some sad truth to tell you.

Blue Ridge was running out of Barges when I was still polishing for the forum and my local clients. They had dropped the price, which is why it was such a good deal.

Now Blue Ridge has dropped the price again--to eight dollars! That is not a misprint.

I have an order in, done in three's. They send out their shippers with three to a box. I'm hoping for nine, and my computer order is holding. Usually if an item is out of stock, the computer gives you a warning or cancels the entire line items.

I would have bet most of Chuck's money on the premise that the Barge was to be "The Knife of the Year." I cannot keep then in stock and everybody carries theirs 24/7. I have never had one returned because the client was disappointed.

Blue Ridge will be closed until Wednesday. I'm going to call in my order and take as many as I can get. But I've seen them do this before. It's usually a signal they won't be carrying that line.

Edit: Knifecenter is still selling them at 22 and change.
Chuck43, bhunted and Jflytle like this.

Last edited by The Tourist; 12-24-2018 at 09:02 AM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #2

I have never used the computer generated order form. But I placed my order through that feature for one reason.

The instructions say that if there is not enough product to ship, the computer will delete your line item or tell you that they do not have enough to fill the order.

I entered zillions of lines of security and credit card numbers, plus verifying my shipping and billing addresses.

Then I held my breath and hit "enter." Within a second, the computer gave me a bright red order number, confirming my entire order.

On Wednesday I will talk to a human and find out how many still available.
Chuck43 and bhunted like this.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:06 PM   #3

Eight bucks? How do they do it? The Chicoms must have cut back on the weekly rat meat portions given to the workers in the prison camps.
Chuck43 and bhunted like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2018, 01:12 PM   #4

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Eight bucks? How do they do it? The Chicoms must have cut back on the weekly rat meat portions given to the workers in the prison camps.
That's not how big outfits like this think.

When the item is hot, I get them at competitive prices to go head-to-head with places like Knifecenter. But resellers like Blue Ridge only carry what sells, and they only carry the hot items, never the manufacturers' complete product line.

As good as the Barge is, a small amount must have sitting beyond their "sales model." And some money is better than no money.

They knew guys like me would jump at the chance to get those remaining knives. My guess is that the January 1st catalog will not be showing any Barges, at all.

For a brief period, Blue Ridge had no 0300 series Zero Tolerance knives. They sold only the 0350 models. Now I see where a few of the 0300s are coming back.

It's a passion for us, to them, "metal that can be marketed."
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:13 PM   #5

It will come to quite a surprise to the bean counters at Blue Ridge when you tire of the Barge, and they discover that their entire inventory has. been going to a single togishi in Wisconsin. Their whole sales model will implode.
Chuck43 likes this.

Join the NRA
Old 12-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #6

Woah $8? Amazon got them for $16...super deals man!!!
faultball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by faultball View Post
Woah $8? Amazon got them for $16...super deals man!!!
I hope you understand that Chico (Bada Bing Cutlery) is a licensed dealer. The price ($8.00) he is quoting here is his cost from his distributor. If he sold it to you for $8.00 it would cost him money.
Bigdog and wayne like this.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #8

Not to mention that any knife that Chico lays his hands on becomes a tool for conducting eye surgery or relieving your enemies of their internal organs. That's worth a helluva lot more than some arbitrary "retail price."
Chuck43 and wayne like this.

Join the NRA
Old 12-25-2018, 12:44 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I hope you understand that Chico (Bada Bing Cutlery) is a licensed dealer. The price ($8.00) he is quoting here is his cost from his distributor. If he sold it to you for $8.00 it would cost him money.
That's true. But remember, I factored in the last Barges beginning at 15.75.

It will still cost 9.00 to ship them and perhaps the same to polish them, doing them in sets of three.

So these new Barges at at Blue Ridge price would go out the door for 8 + 9 + 9, which is 26 dollars. Under the former price of 40 dollars, I can still make money at 26. Sure, it was a small profit, but look at the volume. My wife went nuts when all the checks came in!

This is why I want to talk to a "person" on Wednesday. At 8 bucks, I could buy out the remaining stock. And remember, look at what car dealers do to late models when the new ones come out. I'll bet you could buy a 2018 car now for hundreds less than last October.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:43 AM   #10

If it’s true and that’s the price I’ll take 2.
Chuck43 likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote