Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree12Likes
  • 4 Post By The Tourist
  • 6 Post By RustyIron
  • 2 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2019, 07:18 AM   #1

Cutlery Riddle.

What's heavier than lead, cheaper than dirt, looks like it was built by NASA and is more dangerous than a redhead with a new stiletto?

No, not Nancy Pelosi, she weighs about a buck ten.

It's just my new Schrade folder. This is the knife I've been looking for all my life, in fact, I bought two. Let me tell you about it.

While it's all stainless steel, some parts are supposedly plated with titanium. The blade swings open like it's on greased rails.

This is amazing for a assembly line knife. Obviously Rob Babcock polished it, because I didn't. Looks like he did it, everything is lined up, dead straight and "dragon proof."

Heavy? I have lots of hard cover books, and the knife is right in there for ballast.

Now, why would I want this knife? Well, you might find this odd coming from a gun forum, but I'm more dangerous with a knife than a firearm. I've played with knives since 1958, and they are the only things I was actually taught to use.

(Three local cops taught me to shoot, more "plinking" than "IPSC.")

I am well acquainted with the Tueller Drill, but in reality a physical confrontation is at arm's length. Even Massad Ayoob stated that a knife would be a good "fending weapon" to throw the attacker off guard, and back him up while you're drawing.

Ayoob also recommended learn knife moves from a martial art form called "Eskrima," a Filipino derivative of stick fighting. In fact, Ayoob also stated that coroners looking at an Eskima knife wound would state that the hole was done by a 12 gauge slug.

One final thing. These knives are cheap, and I know where they are. But there isn't going to be a "Schrade Raid I." First off, it doesn't need sharpening. Second, I have got to retire...LOL

DSC02455.JPG
Dude22, Jflytle, wayne and 1 others like this.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #2

Nothing like a new toy (or tool) to start off the new year!
Old 01-03-2019, 10:32 AM   #3

Good looking knife, Chico. All the better that it is functional!

Old 01-03-2019, 12:26 PM   #4

Originally Posted by slanted View Post
Good looking knife, Chico. All the better that it is functional!
That's why I bought it. It is hard for me to stick a 400 dollar knife into gravy. And I had great knives just gathering dust. One by one I'm selling them off, and for the last year my daily knives have been worth 20 bucks and under.

I used to be proud of reloading--until I found that some bulk cartridge companies produced loaded rounds cheaper than I did.

Chuck mentioned this morning that I did not have a hobby. That's true, even my "recreation" was in fact work.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:17 PM   #5

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
That's why I bought it. It is hard for me to stick a 400 dollar knife into gravy.
Son, if you have qualms about sticking your $400 knife into a meatball sandwich, how are you going to feel about sticking it into that greasy meatball who is trying to murder you in a dark alley at 2 a.m.?

P.S.
When you're a REAL weirdo, you'll become offended at being expected to cut into your expertly prepared steak with the dull butterknife that they give you at the five star restaurant, so you'll whip out your 6" Shakamama blade, and your friends at the table just shake their heads and sigh, "But of course. Why would we expect anything different?"
Chuck43, CharlieW, 2sharp2 and 3 others like this.

Join the NRA

Last edited by RustyIron; 01-04-2019 at 06:42 AM.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:27 PM   #6

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SCH...-steel-handles

$25 FROM THIS COMPANY.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:02 AM   #7

I quite like the looks of that.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:50 AM   #8

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
"But of course. Why would we expect anything different?"
That's actually closer than you think. My wife and I were sitting at Doolittle's one afternoon, and we heard a gentleman at the next table complain about his dull knife. My wife didn't say anything, but it looked like she wanted to.

I usually carry two or three knives. I rotate, but it's usually something big like this Schrade (I sent my polished Kizer to Doc), a smaller knife like the Spline, and once in a while an "outdoor knife," like a TOPS C.A.T. because it's 1095 and a razor blade.

But I made a deal with myself. No polishing on the weekend. It was "The Barge Charge I" that just frazzled me.
RustyIron and wayne like this.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
Yikes, if I sell mine I'll have to jack up the price.