Oh, I bought a little knife, too. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #1

Oh, I bought a little knife, too.

I have four Splines, but the last thing I want to do with them is jam them into meat and gravy and have to clean out the mechanism.

It seems that I've been buying more and more Kershaws, and I think the quality has gone up.

Other than a small, thin grind on the left front tanto edge. An Atoma took care of most of that.

It does have one perfection, and that's what got my attention. The liner lock engages the blade just where I like it, half-way on the bottom of the blade, left proud.

I don't know if the pictures caught it, but the butt contains a beer bottle opener. Not like the their smaller series which has an open hook. This one has a completely closed ring, and tabs on both sides which is great for both left and right handed people.

Now, I just used mid-grade polishing pastes, so I'd guess the edge is worth 350,000 to 400,000 grit. It still grabs your fingerprints, and sharp enough to allow a doctor to do a tracheotomy. I think rougher hemp rope would wear on it after a bit. The blade is made from 8Cr13MoV, so if you use a knife for slicing that alloy will offer a good run.

So, if you love your Spline, but you want an afternoon of hiking, this is a good choice.

DSC02456.JPG

DSC02457.JPG
Dude22 and Jflytle like this.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:00 PM   #2

How about advertising some folders with "Longer 4inch +" blades, then you might get my attention. Oh great "Retired One!"

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:40 PM   #3

My Old Timer is smaller then your knife.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45453448_1941907425887990_5654865641128067072_n.jpg (25.0 KB, 4 views)

Yes I am a Democrat,that love his guns!
If1Hitu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2019, 07:23 AM   #4

[QUOTE=The Tourist;894288]The blade is made from 8Cr13MoV, so if you use a knife for slicing that alloy will offer a good run.

There are a couple of Splines around here and I just picked up a CRKT fixed blade in this same steel. After all, who can't appreciate a bottle opener on a pocket knife.

Ignoring the fact that I had to fix the bevel (the entire length) on the CRKT I am impressed with the steel. It seems to have more 'wear resistance' than some of the other MoV blends out there. I need to get the CRKT back into the sharpening rig to see how it polishes, as the initial edge was focused on repair and to get the edge serviceable (600g)
Chuck43 and The Tourist like this.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #5

Ah, your last sentence exposed the truth--you're a polisher. Improve, improve, improve. And secretly you look at every poorly shined angstrom to be your personal fault.

Yes, I am quite happy with 8Cr13MoV, despite my first fears. I heard rants of "Chinese 440" so loud my 12,000 stone shook!

Then I remembered I, too, am a polisher. I can always make it better even if it is a Chinese alloy. It will be great, except for the guilt...
Old 01-04-2019, 08:17 AM   #6

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
How about advertising some folders with "Longer 4inch +" blades, then you might get my attention. Oh great "Retired One!"
They are getting harder to find. For example, in the Blue Ridge catalog they usually list a "big" knife as 3.75 inches long. I think they want to make all their knives legal for as many resellers as they can find.

Now, Josh at PVK Vegas has several manual and automatic knives over four inches. But as I warn everyone, he a pendulum temper. Sometimes he answers the phone as, "Hey, Chico, buddy, how can I help you?" Then two days later it's, "Hey, Chico, eat even more shit and die faster."

But he is mellowing. The last few calls have been polite, to the point and helpful.

Now, he will give me a nudge on pricing, and sometimes apply my "buying points." But truth be told, you can do about as good as I do haggling and yutzing with him over a knife you want.

(I'm assuming you mean folders over four inches. Blue Ridge has lots of fixed blades in the longer lengths. I just don't like something as big as a Bowie knife. For fixed blades, it's a Bradford or nothing).
Old 01-04-2019, 08:20 AM   #7

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Then I remembered I, too, am a polisher. I can always make it better even if it is a Chinese alloy. It will be great, except for the guilt...
I think we can all go 50/50 on the "Chinese steel" topic, but in my view, they are getting VERY good. I picked up a Chinese Benchmade in M390. My opinion, it's as good as the M390 ZT and others that I have. Take a look at the M390 coming out of Two Sun knives. Great steel in creative knife designs.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:27 AM   #8

I will look. So far I have never handled one. I think I polished an M390, but I'm not sure. I know I've handled a M690 because I own one.

I am learning there's more and more stuff to research.
Jflytle likes this.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:29 AM   #9

If you haven't polished out an S90V, you may want to find one. Tough steel, but polishes out very nicely. In the category of 'takes a licking and keep ticking'. M390 seems to be in the same longevity category, but slightly less troublesome to get 'shape' than S90V
Old 01-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #10

Have you done any 110V? It seems that Spyderco has a few smaller folders in that alloy.