Kimber Talk Forums banner

2sharp2, is this one big enough?

2K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  The Tourist 
#1 ·
You wanted a big knife, and it even comes sharp. It's a tad ugly, but no one is going to bother you...

Kitchen utensil Knife Hunting knife Blade Font

See less See more
#2 ·
It does look big! IDK, how much do Kizers cost?

#5 ·
I paid 47 dollars for mine. You give me a little "bump" and shipping, and out she goes.

Now, they come sharp. More kirinaga than polished. But there's no sense in removing good metal just to get a shiny bevel.

Are you a polisher?

#10 ·
Bhaha, me too!

Reactions: cousinmark
#13 ·
I forget the name but I bought one, at the time I think I paid $100 bucks for it. It just sits in the safe for the most part. It seems to be well made, it is really heavy, I carried it one day, kept having to pull my pants up been in safe ever since.

Attachments

Reactions: Hoffbrew
#15 ·
IMO Raptor grips are some of the best looking grips ever. I think they would look great on the M1911 knife. I think it has DC on the blade but you can find it if you google M1911 knife, do good research I found prices vary a good bit.

Reactions: Tejun and Hoffbrew
#18 ·
2sharp2, hey, no problem. I'm a salesman, and that's a job where you hear "no" more than you hear "yes."

I did polish The Immortal because I knew I was going to keep it or sell it to an existing client. While it only has a belly bevel and a tanto bevel, it's the same lay-out as a CQC7.

That phony spine and blunt tanto top edge just makes the knife look more sinister, but it does not offer any superior slicing power. The whole top end is just for looks.

Eh, either way it's defensive. Some guys might see the knife as a real-deal gladius and simply back down. The guy who does grab you will get +4 inches of steel shoved where he might not like it.

I did carry my Schrade to get some sandwiches because I'm alone today. That Subway has been problematic, closing on days posted as being open. If it was for the kid who the owner calls "assistant manager," they'd have no business at all.

For a kid just out of school, no one has to tell him to "work" twice. And he makes the best sandwiches yet.

But getting in and out of the truck always told me I was carrying something heavy. The Schrade is an ideal club when folded.

#19 ·
"This Is A Knife!"

This is more what I had in mind,...new EDC for me. lol

I've gone all Crocodile Dundee down here!

Attachments

#26 ·
I GET YOU! I spent over an hour late last night searching the BurnKnives website looking for a OTF or switchblade I might could afford...so BUMMED lowest price I found was $1,100 bucks. :eek:

#27 ·
Yeah, I discovered them (him?) somewhere around 15-18 years ago. Always hoped someday he'd ramp things up enough for the prices to come down a little. On the contrary, he became so successful that he instead was able to pump the prices up LOL
So it goes...

Reactions: 2sharp2
#28 ·
Nanodiamond slurry and a kirinaga edge.

I made two choices today which I believe made my knives better.

As you know, the more costly knives had their owners asked if they wanted a slurry finish.

Well, I used some 3.2 million grit slurry on a personal knife. The nano cloth mount still had some slurry on it. I had three Barges to finish this morning, and like always, there were a few whisker marks which just drives me crazy.

I shot one or two spritzs of slurry on the nano cloth, and used it to final polish the three Barges ready to ship. The cost was minimal, and the scratches came out. It does enhance the edge, but perhaps by only another 100,000 grit.

Two, I had polished a cheap Kershaw folder for myself to use on chores in the home. When I found out we were out of mouth wash, I looked under the bathroom sink to find three giant bottles, wrapped tight in that Costco plastic (or kevlar). Each bottle had the cap welded to the bottle by tight and thicker plastic.

I flipped open the knife, but the edge just slid down the plastic.

So, I decided that when this little knife goes dull, I will replace the polished edge with a wider, decreased angle bevel in kirinaga.

Kirinaga is a Japanese edge that is both sharp and toothy. I often state to clients, that if you own a boat and deal with wet lines, a toothy edge is more practical.

Ergo, the clients get better edges, and I get to use one that doesn't shine. Amazing what "age" can do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.