"Blue Butt Barges" - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #1

"Blue Butt Barges"

In an effort to make a buck, and continue "domestic tranquility," I am going to sell off my "Blue Butts."

I call them that because they are diamond slurry polished and marked with blue painters tape so I don't sell them for eight bucks. So out they must go.

There are only three, and that's all there ever will be.

Just like regular Barges, they go in order, or one guy can take them all.

They are 109 dollars each. The extra nine dollars is just for shipping.

DSC02463.JPG
OrmondB likes this.

Last edited by The Tourist; 01-13-2019 at 11:03 AM. Reason: To explain confusion in pricing.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-13-2019, 02:14 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to OrmondB Send a message via MSN to OrmondB Send a message via Yahoo to OrmondB
Blue butt Barge

I will take one.
OrmondB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:42 PM   #3

Thank you, Harold. It's boxed and ready to go in tomorrow's UPS.
OrmondB likes this.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:02 PM   #4

I would like to explain the issue. You first must know that just because a knife is shipped, it doesn't always mean it has passed Q/C from the manufacturer. Some companies don't care, and if you doubt that in today's world of "customer service," ask Chuck.

When you buy knives by the case you must open each box and check them out. I'm looking for the lock first. Any knife with a blade that wobbles when locked goes back to Blue Ridge. I doesn't often happen, but we're dealing with dozens of knives. I have local clients buying Barges as well.

Then I begin shaping the knife. In about one out of ten cases the edge is not just imperfect, but severely ground--like the left bevel doesn't even look like the right bevel, and they were ground by the same guy. I just set those aside. The 'tip' is only due on these three knives.

Now, in case you're wondering why I don't send those back it's because it's just a common issue. And I'm a knife sharpener, and I have the same (or better) tools to refine the edges.

So, one day I wanted a "left side" knife. I took one of poorly ground Barges and over a long afternoon, made both sides even and the edge sharp. I suppose I could have tossed in with the knives I shipped, but "once bit twice shy." If the knife was to fail, I wanted it on my watch.

Since the bevel was wider and more refined, I decided to do the "full Monty" on it. And yes, the work and materials cost more than eight Barges.

Funny thing, I never cut a single thing with it. My new carry knife arrived shortly there after. I put blue tape on the butt, and shelved it. I did the same to two more.

Well, then our furnace conked out, I got a new shrink and more expensive meds. I told my wife what I was going to do, and as we always do, the money would go directly to her--all of it--for bill paying. They are incredibly sharp tools, but I don't want my wife to keep working so I can buy whatever I want.

The weird amount of 109.00 dollars is just for shipping, and like any Bada Bing knife it gets life sharp, with a small fee attached for the nanodiamond slurry. Not much, more like a 'tip' to defray costs. The added 'tip' is only on these three knives.

And every penny goes to my wife. Nothing hidden.
bhunted and OrmondB like this.

Last edited by The Tourist; 01-14-2019 at 06:04 PM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #5

Like always, I found another. It's not fully polished, I just set it aside.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:44 PM   #6

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I would like to explain the issue. You first must know that just because a knife is shipped,
Editor's note (cause the editorial eye never sleeps...). Add text here:

You first must know that just because a knife is shipped from the manufacturer,
(You can edit your msg... button at the bottom.)

And if you need the explanation:
When you start 'discussing knives' that YOU are providing/selling, and begin with "the issue" (what issue? broken/ bad? what?) and "may not have passed QC"; and then immediately go into "knife is shipped," the clear -- but completely unintended! -- implication is that YOU are the shipper.

Yeah, yeah, I know, the folks CAN figure it out, eventually. But it's less-than-optimal communication to make your reader HAVE to figure it out... There's a great book you will never choose to read (cause you'll never need to) -- on web design and communication -- called "Don't Make Me Think." It;'s all about using and taking advantage of web conventions -- stuff that people KNOW, but don't know they know.

How many of you automatically look to the top right of a page for the Search function? And click on the top-right logo to return to the Home Page? Anyone ever TEACH you that? Not usually: web conventions -- like most "social" conventions -- are picked up by unconscious pattern recognition.

When designing a sales page -- or discussing why a knife you're selling is SUPERIOR to the run-of-the-mill knives -- adhering to the conventions or to editing standards for clarity, means your reader/viewer/customer will have an easy and pleasant time on your page... (Yes, Chico -- this is your sales page.)

(My profession was editing, which I miss a lot.)
El
2sharp2 likes this.

Last edited by Ice-and-Snow; 01-14-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:04 PM   #7

And I think you made a necessary correction. This due to just who is the Q/C we are concerned with. Granted I check quality control, but I feel in many cases a manufacturer has let items slip through.

I will modify my original thread because it makes sense. The world of cutlery is one of the most honest I have been involved with. And I want the members here--who have become my friends--that placing a knife in my hands is a safe endeavor.
Dude22 and OrmondB like this.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #8

You kids are funny. Chico bangs out a few unintelligible words on the keyboard, but we figure out what he's trying to say. El carefully tippy-taps half a novel, and we wonder, WTF is that girl talking about? xoxo

The takeaway from this whole thread is that you can squirt some nanodiamonds on a kangaroo foreskin for only a few bucks. I was envisioning a much higher cost. What worries me is that Ken will tell me I need several more $tone$ before I can use the diamonds.

Party on, boys and girls.
2sharp2 and Ice-and-Snow like this.

Join the NRA

Last edited by RustyIron; 01-14-2019 at 08:41 PM.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #9

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I feel in many cases a manufacturer has let items slip through.
I wish I had learned this lesson before buying my Emerson. Even to my untrained eye, the bevels were hugely irregular. I assumed it must be some kind of advanced togishi trick that I didn't understand. In retrospect, I should have sent it back and told them to stick that knife right... in their scabbard.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:54 PM   #10

Received two more barges today from Chico. I have purchased a few from him now and gave them away as gifts, these two are for myself. Say what you want but Chico knows what honesty, integrity and customer service is all about! Thank you Chico
Chuck43, Dude22, 2sharp2 and 2 others like this.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote