New Cheap Knife - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2019, 07:14 PM   #1

New Cheap Knife

It's no secret that I think the Benchmade Axis lock is the greatest thing since sliced bread. And being knife-curious, I always want a new knife. But buying a lot of expensive knives when I can only carry one at a time seems silly.

Eventually Benchmade's stranglehold on the design expired, and two other companies started churning out their own vision of the Axis Lock. One of these companies is a Chicom firm called Ganzo. Just about all their knives are $20 and less. How could I go wrong at that price?

I bought one because it looked cool. It seemed to be a nice knife, so then I bought another in the style that I really like (look at picture now)

I bagged this Ganzo G7412-WS for the princely sum of $16.95. What I've come to like in a knife is an Axis lock, with an blade pivot so smooth that the blade will flop closed under gravity. I also like a strong finger choil (correct term?). I also like the thumb hump (technical term) on the spine of the blade. G10 in a checkered pattern is also important. Lastly, it's gotta be tip up.

This Ganzo had the features I like, and I eagerly awaited its arrival at my house. Initial examination had me smiling at a good purchase. It fit my hand nicely, and was exactly the same size as my CQC7. The bevels on the blade aren't perfectly symmetrical, but they're not as awful as some I've seen. Friction between my hand and the scales was spot-on. Opening was easy and smooth. Closing couldn't be done by gravity. The pivot pin has a torx screw on either side, and you can't tighten them or everything will lock up. That's a drawback, but not one I can't overcome. I loosened the screws more, and the blade now closes under gravity. I'll need to put a dab of silicone sealer on the screws just to keep them from moving. The Axis lock was really stiff because of the springs. I squished the springs between my fingers, and now the lock is ok. The buttons are flush with the scales, but they should really stick out a little bit.

I think those are the highlights of the knife. It's interesting to me that they seem to make a pretty good product, for really cheap. Time will tell if the knife continues to make me smile. Ask me in a year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0706.jpeg (1.76 MB, 23 views)

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #2

I'm with you RI that looks like a perfectly useable blade. Being a "knife nut" myself, I too have a couple of Benchmades, Bear&Sons and one or two others that cost three figures. But one of my favorites and most used is a Gerber "Gatorback" I bought off a clearance table at Lowe's for $15.00. It's big, but light and holds a good edge. It's not my EDC, more of a working out in the yard knife. And if I lose it or break it I won't want to beat my head against the wall.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:30 PM   #3

Seems like I grew up with a Buck in my jeans pocket and just recently discovered the 112 Auto. It'll be arriving on Monday.
IMG_2162.JPG
Chuck43, RustyIron, Tejun and 4 others like this.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:00 AM   #4

Originally Posted by PaulWVa View Post
And if I lose it or break it I won't want to beat my head against the wall.
I have two knives that I'd call EDC. One big, one small. The small one is a Benchmade CQC-7, left hand. This is REAL left hander, not some half assed left-hand-carry, right-hand closing. The only other knife like this that I've seen was on eBay, and the asking price was $450.

One day I noticed that the CQC-7 wasn't where I expected, and I had been carrying another knife for quite a while. I looked all over. Not finding it, I tried to remember the last time I had used it. Then I remembered: I had taken it on a trip, and for the flight home, I put the knife in a duffle bag. Apparently one of those [email protected]#% TSA people found it in my bag and stole it! Bastards!

Anyway, it's just a "thing," and nothing to cry over. I wrote it off as gone forever.

A couple months passed, and I needed to go on another trip. My duffel bag has plenty of little zipper compartments. As I was packing, there was something heaving in a little pouch. Guess what? It was my beloved CQC-7.

Join the NRA
Old 01-25-2019, 08:35 AM   #5

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
The bevels on the blade aren't perfectly symmetrical, but they're not as awful as some I've seen.
I've changed my opinion on this issue. As a young polisher, I would take any new knife with a "flaw" and make it uniform to polish without thinking about it.

My new large Schrade folder still wears the original edge, and as an EDC, yes, it probably will see some bad times. When that makes it dull, then I will polish it or perhaps use a kirinaga edge.

Carry it for awhile, and use the edge. The experiences will help you decide on the new edge and when to pursue it.
RustyIron and PaulWVa like this.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #6

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Anyway, it's just a "thing," and nothing to cry over. I wrote it off as gone forever.
Ha! … man have I been there. Knives have a way of finding their way back to me.

Years ago I went to a farm about 50 miles away to squirrel hunt and to scout for the up coming deer bow season. When hunting or hiking I always carried my dad's old Case XX, bone handled fixed blade, in a leather sheath on my belt. I got back to the truck at the end of the day, … no knife. I couldn't remember even taking it out all day. I had walked miles of trails and fields that day. I was heartbroken to lose "that" knife.

Two weeks later while deer hunting the same area, I was slow walking out a trail, stalking a small group of deer, hoping for a shot. I had stopped for a second … I felt something hard under my foot...not wanting to snap a twig and let the deer know I was there … I looked down and I was standing on my knife... no s#!+. It had a tiny bit of rust on the edges from being out in the weather all that time but polished out like new. I later gave it to my sister's boy to have a keepsake belonging to his grandfather. I told him my "lost and found" story and he still has the knife.

True story.

Last edited by PaulWVa; 01-25-2019 at 12:33 PM.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #7

For me, it's not the loss, but anticipating it will be lost--and then out of production!

To my memory, I cannot remember losing a knife. But one of my favorite knives (besides the Barge) is the Spline. Knives priced in this category come and go for Blue Ridge. So I bought a spare, but sold that one.

Then the "second spare" arrived and I sold that one, also.

Finally, I just admitted my addiction for the little knife and bought three spares. I still carry the original, but I feel a lot safer.

If a knife is useful and I buy a spare and stop, I usually sell both of them because of a short-fall in household income.
PaulWVa likes this.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #8

BTW, this is my "cheap knife," that is, the 'cheap knife' of the moment.

It's always in the flannel shirt I wear, so if I've left a knife in my jeans (which also has my Kimber on it), I always have a knife for home chores.

It's the knife I use when I don't have a knife.

Edit: I forgot one thing. This is an easy knife to sharpen, and the bevels are fairly uniform in width, you would not have to hold a stone to two differing angles if you sharpen by hand, or move your fixture angle if you prefer a guided system. Once sharp, it is a little razor.

Kershaw Shuffle.jpg
Chuck43 and RustyIron like this.

Last edited by The Tourist; 01-30-2019 at 09:59 AM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:04 PM   #9

I did a showcase of knife done up with a black blade and handle, decorated with patriotic prose. I polished it.

My wife says it was a gift from a magazine subscription, and while she got it for free, and I believe she told me it was only worth about ten bucks.

I needed something to occupy my mind, so this morning waiting for things to dry and stones to soak, I slurry polished the edge.

Laugh if you want, but it is my knife...
Old 01-30-2019, 10:38 PM   #10

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
BTW, this is my "cheap knife," that is, the 'cheap knife' of the moment.
Nice. I like a tanto blade, chisel ground blade. I like the utility of the long straight section, as well as the tip, where you can sort of use it as a scraper.

The awful part about that knife is that it appears to be a right-hand liner lock. The bottle opener feature is kewl. What's interesting about all the chisel ground blades I've seen are that they all appear to be for a leftie. They work great for me, but they would suck if the profile was flipped side-to-side. I don't understand why you right-handers tolerate this.

Join the NRA