Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By The Tourist
  • 3 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2019, 07:51 AM   #1

Using nanodiamond slurry.

At first, I saved the slurry for higher end knives. It was a costly procedure, but the effects were worth it to many clients.

In doing the Barges, I would notice the usual smudges from wiping and polishing, and I used paste and glass to buff these marks out. One day I just picked a still damp nano-cloth piece of glass and just buffed the edge. I was amazed on how it made the job easier.

As you know, I have a Kershaw Shuffle II. While handy (in fact, too handy), the edge will need touch-ups. One day my wife went to Costco, and all the products were bound with heavy, shrink-wrap plastic. I just reached into my flannel shirt, drew the Shuffle and made short work of stocking the shelves.

I wondered if the edge had dulled, so I took the damp nano-cloth and wiped the edge. Amazingly, just the remnants of the slurry re-polished the edge. (I don't know if this will work on a better knife alloy).

The edge is not only sharper, but devoid of ripples and flat spots. I think this is worth the expense. If you're a polisher, call Ken Schwartz.
Dude22, Jflytle and OrmondB like this.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #2

Here's that 'low cost' knife after it was treated to slurry. Not only is it pretty, but amazingly sharp.

DSC02456.JPG

DSC02457.JPG
Dude22, PaulWVa and OrmondB like this.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #3

Just left Ken a message. Currently, I go to 5000, then switch to the polishing tape with Mothers.

I'm thinking I might want to go to a 8k or 10k stone... what do you think? If I do that, should I go to Mothers after 10k? Between 5k and 10k?

Can I jump to a slurry after that?

Also... when I opened up my polishing kit yesterday, I was saddened to see a crack in my 5k bamboo stone. I rubbed it on a 1k, washed it off, and used it as I normally would. I'm not sure if I should replace it. Thoughts?

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #4

Jumping from 5000 to 8K or 10K is quite a leap. I go from 2000, to 4000 to 6000.

The scratch pattern has to be removed or "whisker marks" might show through your paste polishing.

Ask Ken what he's got, he knows stones--just hang onto your wallet.