Yes, I own defensive knives. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #1

Yes, I own defensive knives.

While I do not believe in the old TK version of the "knife duel," I am for self defense. And as you know, I found the one that fits my need, although it came with a health warning. In fact, I own two of them.

Blue Ridge is dumping them, and they are cheap. My guess is that they are down to single digits because they have shown up three times in the monthly catalog.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...vt=0&eim=1,2,6

Last edited by The Tourist; 02-06-2019 at 11:35 AM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #2

Too ugly for me to spend money on!

Gold Combat LE
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
CDP Ultra
Raptor Ultra Stainless
RCP Ultra
SIS Custom
SIS Pro
SIS Ultra
TLE Pro (TFS)
Stainless Raptor
Custom Two Tone .45/460 Rowland
Super Carry Ultra Plus
84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #3

Fourteen bucks is too much? Yikes, the raw steel, not to mention the titanium is worth that.

I figured it this way. A fight here is usually haymaker punches and sloppy footwork. It's not a karate lesson from Chuck Norris.

Any defensive weapon is essentially a blunt object. This one just has a sharp blade.

And truth be told, why would I risk losing a 250 dollar Emerson? The cops will just take it for prima facie evidence. I just bought two of these, and they do pretty much the same thing.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:24 PM   #4

There's no accounting for taste. I find them rather fetching...
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:41 AM   #5

I tend to regard the knife as simply "form follows function."

A knife that's going to get banged up should be able to be used as a hammer, have a blade thick enough to avoid chips and breakage, and the lock should very secure.

While it came sharp, it also has to be easy to touch up with any stone available. If it sits at home waiting for numerous stones to repair the edge, the knife loses it value as a defensive tool.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #6

Yikes, I had to sharpen my own knife!

The Schrade 302S had a "utility edge," which to a togishi means "broken." Yeah, it had an edge, yeah it could easily penetrate denim and leather, yeah, it could save your life.

But the edge looked a tad crooked and I knew I be the horse's hind end if you guys ever needed a picture in the future.

I decided to go with a kirinaga edge. That's Japanese for "sharp but toothy."

It's sharp, just not pretty. More importantly, it's straight.

DSC02470.JPG
Jflytle and OrmondB like this.

Last edited by The Tourist; 02-07-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:33 AM   #7

One element I wanted to clear up was my choice of making an edge kirinaga.

Obviously, the original edge had to be shaped. But once done, it does not have to be done again. Over time, there will be wear and minor chips, but removing lots of metal is not the best answer.

I used stones in the 3-digits for my initial edge. I will most likely use a 2000 blue speckled stone to refine the edge. Then the time after that, I'll use a 4000.

Yes, in two to three years, the knife will be polished, but that is not the goal. Every stone going up the ladder removes minor defects.

And within two to three years, a client will most likely have purchased the refined folder. The overall goal is to always have a sharp tool, but in striving for that, you must save the most metal.

Last edited by The Tourist; 02-08-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:58 AM   #8

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I used stones in the 3-digits for my initial edge. I will most likely use a 2000 blue speckled stone to refine the edge. Then the time after that, I'll use a 4000.
I have a number of inexpensive knives (<$5) around the house for opening boxes, envelopes, dog food bags, etc. You can't walk 15" without one on a shelf. ALL have this treatment, and I actually rarely will take one past 2000. After the initial bevel setting, I can usually re-establish an edge at 600 and with a couple of stone increments, get back to the working edge quickly.

I'm not convinced (yet) that going past the 2000 level is worth it and the extra "bite" helps considerably. Take the edge to 1500-2000, strop on an old piece of saddle leather to knock the (small) burr off, and you have an easily serviceable edge.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:04 AM   #9

For chores, I agree with you. The issue shifts when you look for a defensive knife. And there's no way to "test" it. I did see a ridiculous test in a knife magazine called "Pork Man." They wrapped ample pork around a broomstick, and sealed it with Saran Wrap, and covered the project in denim. Then they did test slicing.

Yeah, they were thorough, but drunks don't know they were cut. Making an exit is still the best course.
Jflytle likes this.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:06 AM   #10

Agreed. Most of the places I travel during the work week, I cannot take a CCW. So, a quality folder, in a quality steel, with a well-tuned edge is in order.

I have seen a variation on the hog test. I believe it was a ham, covered in a couple layers of denim/coat/etc. A reasonable proxy. I know my carry knives can handle that test.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote