One knife you trust to defend life? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #1

One knife you trust to defend life?

Well, we discussed firearms. To be fair, we should also discuss edged tools. I know we all have knives as most gun owners do.

I'll even go first. Sure I have fancy knives and one vanadium TOPS folder. But hands down, if my life hangs in the balance, I'll go for my Kershaw Spline. Granted, I spent way too much time on the edge, and then bought three more.

But for an assisted opening knife, it's faster than a switchblade, and flat to carry in the pocket. No bad for 22 bucks.

https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/spline
Old 02-15-2019, 05:03 PM   #2

Benchmade Mel Pardue auto. EDC now for 24 years, been back to the mother ship once for new spring. A faithful friend for many miles. There's many more resting in the safe, but that's my primary blade buddy.

But honestly, if my life was in the balance, the first thing I'd be grabbing would be my nearest .45!
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and wayne like this.
Rick in Oregon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #3

My Kershaw, Emerson 4" one of two EDC's I have every day. Better for close work than a pistol.
80N53 likes this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #4

OK, I'll jump in. This is the knife(s) I trust to defend my life. They weren't expensive. I don't even know the brand. I don't even know what continent they were made on. But they're sharp as hell, come out wicked fast, and even if I'm bleeding all over them I won't drop them. Ask how I know. No, don't. I don't want to talk about it.

2sharp2 and Jflytle like this.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:41 AM   #5

Well if I was forced into a knife fight with what I had on me, that would be my drop blade, green bone handle, single 3 1/2" blade Boker. I can assure you that it would be either German or Swiss made. I have a lot of knives.

Tourist, I haven't spent much time talking to you but I can say something not many other people can. For 50 years, I used a knife every work day of my life, most days I used one 2-6 hours a day. I was a butcher and had my own meat market that my father founded.

Also, a good steel was just as important as my knives, tools to me. And no one was allowed to use my tools or even wash them. I kept my edges in perfect condition and I didn't want my steels to get a ding in them or my knives for that matter.

Jim D
Jflytle likes this.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:06 AM   #6

Originally Posted by BCD 45 View Post
I kept my edges in perfect condition and I didn't want my steels to get a ding in them or my knives for that matter.
Boy, it must have nice for your polisher not to have to repair the edges. I did some work for an upper end Madison club. A head chef, four sous0chefs and about ten cooks. Just about everything was chipped and/or dull.

I like to carry "the new stuff," just for fun. I've been playing with my new CRKT Prequel. It's everything you need, nothing you don't and comes apart without tools for a thorough cleaning.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:44 AM   #7

have had this guy for about 20 years
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 6.43.05 AM.png (247.1 KB, 3 views)
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #8

Originally Posted by BCD 45 View Post

Tourist, I haven't spent much time talking to you but I can say something not many other people can. For 50 years, I used a knife every work day of my life, most days I used one 2-6 hours a day. I was a butcher and had my own meat market that my father founded.

Jim D
I started working in a grocery store when I was 15 and ended up pretty quickly working in the produce department. I could move and process a lot of produce for a young guy! We had flat-nosed produce knives and knife for cutting melons and such that were most likely designed for the meat cutter trade. We also has a full serve meat department where the sides of beef would come in and were broken down by the butchers into all the different cuts of meat. They had a wide array of work knives. We had a service company (Gem City) who came in every couple weeks and removed the duller knives and replaced them with newly sharpened blades.

After I quit as Produce Manager and went to a larger(national) chain, I stopped but to see if I could buy 2 or three of their produce knives. The gentleman was maybe Greek, Italian or Middle eastern and was always nice. He said he's get me new ones and proceeded to use different machines to sharpen them. When I left, he handed them to me and said "no charge"! I took them into work and was cutting celery like normal. The big chain didn't have a sharpening service so their knives were never super sharp. Well. I trimmed the butt of the celery and then, placed the top of the celery like normal on my apron covered leg and trimmed the top. I immediately knew that was a mistake. I cut through the celery, through the apron, through my jeans and into my upper leg. Lucky I was using the same amount of pressure and only went slightly into my leg but it got my attention real fast. All of those knives eventually disappeared at work (probably because of the sharpness and they had wooden handles where our company provided knives were white handles Dexter Russell brand)!!
BCD 45 likes this.
OLE442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #9

OLE442,

I completely understand. We got in your beef in quarters (150-200# each) and broke down and cut everything. I started cutting meat at 15 years old while still in school and then after high school full time.

I've been sewed up so many times I couldn't even count them until I got around 30 and got smarter, but accidents still happened every great once in a while. The worst one was breaking down a fore quarter and I slipped and stuck a 12" butcher knife completely through my thigh all the way to the wooden handle. For some reason I reached around to the back of my leg and cut the poop out of 4 fingers on the knife blade sticking out. There was a little more to that one than sewing up because I cut a main artery into in the process. I've seen some really gross bad ones.

And by the way, to me Dexter/Russell is at the bottom of the list unless of course it's an old carbon steel Dexter Green River which I had several Green Rivers.
.................................................. ............

Tourist,
I tended to my own knives as far as sharpening them went, we didn't send them out anywhere. I wanted a certain bevel on certain knives used for different purposes and my father a 40 year butcher taught me how to sharpen. That's the reason no one was allowed to use mine.

Jim D
RustyIron likes this.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:02 AM   #10

Tourist,

I want to apologize for getting off subject of the original thread. I'm very sorry sir.

Jim D