RustyIron and his dedicated slicing knife. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2019, 08:09 AM   #1

RustyIron and his dedicated slicing knife.

"Iron," as we discussed, I have cut a regular Barge to a finer edge and at a steeper angle.

Additionally, your comment was that a Barge of average polish would not cleanly slice Japanese and Chinese food. My guess is that such vegetables had fibrous make-up.

Since I now polish from "the bottom up," my next stone after the 140 Atoma will be a 600 grit semi-shaping stone. Once evened up, I can go to the 2000 speckled as my 600 stone uses a gentler touch.

As always, if you call me and say, "Nice try, but it doesn't work," I'll piss and moan and replace the 8-dollar knife.

Tell me how far up the ladder I should go.

(This should make for a great showcase presentation).

DSC02477.JPG

DSC02478.JPG
bhunted, RustyIron and Hoffbrew like this.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #2

My personal knife.

Below is my personal knife. Yeah, it's been in my pocket, has a scuff mark somewhere, but the lock is perfect, the edge is extreme and it's been polished with nanodiamond slurry. Even I don't touch the edge.

It has also been pushed to a wider and extreme angle. Then again, if I break it I can replace it.

Now I've mentioned the mall, and I just got a new gold crown on one of my molars. The knife will never draw blood, for between my toothy, shiny smile and the glint off the bevel, no one argues with a crazy man...

This can be done, but the one I'm preparing is not my knife. 'Iron has to make a decision, and as I go up the ladder I'll borrow a piece of asparagus to validate the proper grit level.

DSC02479.JPG

DSC02480.JPG
RustyIron and Ice-and-Snow like this.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #3

Exciting, Chico!

But let me be clear, it wasn't your Barge that wouldn't cut the nori, it was my Chicom Ganzo blade that I took to 5k+Mothers. I wouldn't insult your talent by using your work on second-rate Japanese food. Your Barge is sitting her on my desk, where I use it to compare to my own work, so I'll know if the day ever comes that I achieve real talent.

So I'm definitely down with giving the Barge a wide bevel, the gleam of which will send shivers down the spines of droopy-pants-gangstas and bluefin tuna everywhere.

When the new Barge arrives, I'll probably give the old one to S-I-L. She carries a gun and I assume a knife, but I'm not sure what kind--probably nothing special. You certainly wouldn't wan't to flash her with your wide-bevel nano-polished Barge and your golden smile. She's also a Krav Maga expert, and is likely to crush your balls, smash your face, then stick you with your own knife before she bids you adieu. And she's not even a natural redhead.
Ice-and-Snow likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #4

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
And she's not even a natural redhead.
Well then, the deal's off...LOL

But truth be told, do you think any polished edge would slice your favorite Asian vegetable?

I can go up as far as you wish. I'll do the 600 and the 2000, take a picture, and get your opinion.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:13 PM   #5

The Second Sharpening.

Rob, I just finished sharpening with the 600 and the 2000 speckled. It is straight, sharp and no burr, but it does not shine at all.

The next stones are the 4000 and the 6000, and that will create a modest shine.

I assume you want it slurried.

(Blow up the pictures--it's coming along nicely).

DSC02482.JPG

DSC02483.JPG
Old 02-17-2019, 01:36 PM   #6

Third Sharpening.

Rob, this was done with the 4000 stone and the 6000 stone. I'm getting an even finish. The edge is getting "toasty."

DSC02484.JPG

DSC02485.JPG
Old 02-17-2019, 02:20 PM   #7

Fourth Sharpening, First Polishing

Rob, I finished the stone polishing and began the paste and slurry polishing. It is sharp.

(I did photograph the the knife on the Queen of Hearts, but put the black card under it so you know it's your knife).

I have perhaps two pastes to go, maybe three before the slurry. But it's sharp already. I just don't like buffing marks!

(These should be blown up, as well. Yikes!).

DSC02486.JPG

DSC02487.JPG

DSC02488.JPG
Ice-and-Snow and Jflytle like this.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:00 PM   #8

Oh, that's lookin' bitchin'. Just so I know... paste is cBN emulsion, and emulsion is nano-diamonds? How low do you go?

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:30 AM   #9

Rob, pastes can go from 25,000 to 600,000 grit. Nandiamonds are 3.2 to 5.4 million grit.

Now, other than a clearer, more "mirror like" finish, you cannot tell a well done 600,00 from a 3.2 million. But the edge is keener.

But getting back to your vegetables and any other fibrous food, what do you need and want?
Old 02-18-2019, 06:15 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
But getting back to your vegetables and any other fibrous food, what do you need and want?
As we discussed in PM's I had the same question and am going to try something a little different. A Chinese cleaver has a very thin blade and should easily cut through vegetables. I should have one in my hand by the end of the week unless it becomes another victim of the USPS.

OLE442 and Ice-and-Snow like this.

Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote