Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By The Tourist
  • 1 Post By RustyIron
  • 1 Post By The Tourist
  • 1 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #1

The kirinaga edge.

Several years ago I was making a camping/hunting knife and I wondered about the edge. I figured an edge for those jobs might need to be a tad obtuse and maybe a bit rough.

In talking to Ken Schwartz, he recommended that I sharpen this knife both "sharp but toothy." I agreed. He said that in Japanese that word was "kirinaga." I thought, "Hey, only two stones this is easy..."

Well, no, it's not easy. The edge has to be uniform, steeper than imagined, devoid of any errant burrs and low spots, and the edge must run straight down the center of the blade blank.

To that, the fastidious Japanese not only demand form and function, but beauty bordering on artistry.

For them, the edge must be flawlessly 'alabaster.'

I had not done such an edge in several years. And forget talking about "tickling the dragon." This edge 'grabs' what needs to be sliced. Put a wet cherry tomato on an equally wet, shiny plastic cutting board, and only using the knife, trap the tomato under the edge so it cannot move. Press lightly, and the cherry tomato falls in twain.

After all, what guy wants his anniversary to be marred by substandard cutlery?

DSC02492.JPG
Jflytle and OrmondB like this.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:15 PM   #2

Going to dinner with you guys must be a hoot.

Waiter:
Monsieur et Madame,
Tonight le chef has prepared an exquisite filet mignon with a delicate fois gras accompanied by a delicate poisson de pomme frites. And I heartily suggest the 2013 Antoinette de la Verde Spring, a most playful vintage that you are sure to enjoy. Do you have any questions about this evening's menu?

Chico:
Yes, my good man. Do you have any recommendations as to the toughest, most fiberous and slippery item on your menu? That's what we want. And is there a corkage fee if we choose to forego your house cutlery. We brought our own.

Happy Anniversary, kids!

Gargoyle! More food!
Chuck43 likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #3

LOL, Rob, you're right, it was a silly, yet moving dinner!

We ate at "The Sumo," a Japanese restaurant actually run by the Chinese. My wife ordered the Orange Chicken, and I had Salmon--and we each brought 3/4s of our meals home. They also brought us dessert, and a big plate with "34" on it in chocolate. The waitress took our picture.

And silly is the operative word. My wife had a big salad, and then looked over at me and said, "There's never a knife around when you need it."

I almost said, "I know," since they do not give you a knife at this restaurant. Then I remembered the Barge and its edge.

My wife slashed through the salad and even feigned surprise that the lettuce cut perfectly. But just a fork for the salmon, and one of the best meals I've eaten!

Next year, I'm not going to eat the day before...
RustyIron likes this.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:52 PM   #4

Congrats to you and the missus, Chico. !!
Old 02-24-2019, 05:23 AM   #5

Thanks, guys.

My wife and I will go to the coffee cafe' to find some peace and quiet and perhaps a new magazine or an unknown book. But we seldom go to a quiet restaurant and just talk. My wife had some concerns about her job, and I just let her work her way through an explanation. As married folks, we need to talk more.
OLE442 likes this.