Yikes! What happened to Spyderco? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #1

Yikes! What happened to Spyderco?

I had not purchased a personal Spyderco, nor had I procured one for a client in many years. They had always maintained a quality threshold at reasonable prices.

That is sadly over.

First off, everything under 100 dollars is either stamped 'China' or made from 8Cr13MoV steel, if you can call that 'steel' with a straight face.

Additionally, there is an over-representative amount of folders in the 'gut hook' design or fully serrated. I'm leery of any cutlery company that sells a 'sharp knife' based on serrations instead of careful honing. I have to do it for my clients, they should do it for theirs.

After seeing pricing for a three inch blade be marketed at over 200 dollars, I clicked out of the page. If Boker can build a superior knife for 40 bucks, then so should Spyderco.

I'm disappointed.