Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By The Tourist
  • 1 Post By The Tourist
  • 1 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2019, 06:21 PM   #1

The last dangerous stiletto in Wisconsin.

JBear mentioned history, and I was already on the topic. I thought it might be fun to reminisce, and possibly scare a few folks. All this is true.

It is autumn in 1966 and a serious group of boys has just left Menomonee Falls High School. There is no 'north' or 'east' yet, those schools will not be built for another 30 years.

Under the greased back hair is their uniform of the day. While The Falls' colors are "purple and white," their team jackets are 'purple and cream,' and no one has ever mentioned the oddity. But the boys carry no books. They all wear Broomstick pants--in black--and what Billy Joel will sing about ala Flagg Brothers, yes, this group all wears boots with Cuban heels.

Their hands are jammed into their jackets' slash pockets. Everyone has a "nine." It's the de rigueur tool that sets them apart. The nine is five inches of black ivory and four inches of cold polished steel. And they have used these knives.

The 'kaleeg' make a hole. This group is headed to "The Jug," and they are not in a good mood. Anyone wearing "madras" pants of pukey maroon might as well punch himself out.

One of them, a mutt of German, Polish and Sicilian ancestry is actually in a good mood despite the false gnash of teeth. He is wondering about Anita Chvosta or Rosanne Zentkowski--either or. Anita has a car, but Rosanne has those legs...

This gumba has just spent a king's ransom on a new switchblade, the top of the line, and it cost him four whole dollars. But a "dagger style blade" will probably save this kid's bacon. Eh, what the hell, it's date night...

And now, exactly 50 years later, a supplier has sent me the knife of my youth. Oh, it came dull and with a rounded tip, but I know how to fix that. Took all this afternoon to get it "just right."

I gave my team jacket to a pregnant black girl in my church, the elastic bottom made it easy to go around her ever-expanding belly. She did make one salient observation--she told me the inside right front pocket of the jacket had been torn apart.

Well, something heavy with sharp corners probably did that...

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

DSC02538.JPG

DSC02539.JPG
CharlieW and RustyIron like this.

Last edited by The Tourist; 03-31-2019 at 03:35 AM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-30-2019, 06:51 PM   #2

BTW, without much effort, you can find Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, The Jug (if it still exists), and yes, Anita and Rosanne are real girls. Dated 'em both.

Go look in the year book.

I burned two sets of tires off my dad's Sport Fury, which did hold the record for the fastest car in The Falls. And the kid who owned a Charger is still ticked.

My wife wasn't even in high school during those years. She dated my brother, and I stole her!

Only one regret. I miss that Bullfighter knife...
CharlieW likes this.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:53 PM   #3

Since I reminisced in the forum, I got curious about my senior class year-book. I was popular, believe it or not, and the entire book has scribbled messages. But it's not exactly the way I thought I'd be remembered.

On the second page were two bitter-sweet surprises. The first one leads off "to the best street fighter." The one below it names "cycle buddies." Toward the back of the book was a message from an honor society member who tells me he knows where he can "get a blade if he needs one."

Then there are pages of mash-notes from girls I do not remember. And there's girls I should have asked out--one girl who was in my second grade class right through to high school graduation--eleven straight years. I never gave her the time of day.

I'm glad I straightened out by senior year, and four years in college, all As and Bs. But sophomore and junior year in high school are just a "purple haze," pardon the pun.

I wish I could go back and do it right. One of the girls in my senior class flipped her car over and died the day after graduation. I cannot remember one conversation I had with her.

I guess my advice to you members is "don't waste time." I wasted a lot.
CharlieW likes this.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:52 AM   #4

I'm glad I came in here this morning.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:03 AM   #5

Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I'm glad I came in here this morning.
I've been getting nostalgic lately. My wife goes to Menomonee Falls every other weekend to see her mother. I even renewed my membership in "Classmates."

As the "Class of 1968" nears their 70th birthday, we seem to forget the snobbery and just want to connect, laugh, and apologize.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:12 AM   #6

I spend a great deal of time in a nostalgic haze. I wonder if it will ever make me social enough to socialize without a computer in the middle.
It doesn't seem likely, that's what I have a wife for... and she's even more antisocial than I am.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:06 AM   #7

I flipped onto "Classmates" and found out that they are looking for Anita Chvosta. My first thought was, "That cannot be that hard, she runs a dog grooming place in downtown Menomonee Falls."

Then reality hit me. Anita was a smoker. She could be dead.