Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By RustyIron
  • 1 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2019, 07:58 PM   #1

Greasy Diamonds

I've been pretty happy with the edge on the new Spyderco. It will slice through pizza with ease, stab holes in 5 gallon buckets, and do everything in between.

The blade has a full-flat grind, and then I put the edge 22 degrees from there, so I wasn't surprised when it turned out a little delicate. I was feeling what felt like a burr, but under magnification, it was actually chipped in a couple spots.

In the meantime, I found some 0.25μ diamond paste and couldn't resist. I called Ken Schwartz for some nano cloth , and in the conversation, I could tell he wasn't fond of anything grease based. So I bought some water-based 0.25μ CBN from him.

While waiting for the shipment to arrive, I decided to try out the diamonds. This time I went to 25 degrees. And the results were interesting. The latest American Rifleman was on the table, and I had read the whole thing except for the article on the last page. If I hold a page straight up, and put the blade close to my fingers, the blade will slice through the paper by it's own weight. That's easily the best I've ever done.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-03-2019, 05:44 AM   #2

There'a problem with nanodiamond slurry--it's like French fries or potato chips.

You cannot resist the "pull."

I have a very small SW 60 switchblade. I was just going to straighten the bevel and perhaps use Mothers to refine the edge. Then some of the Schwartz polishes fell into my hands.

And finally, the slurry.

I think that misadventure cost more than the knife...

Click on picture to enlarge.

DSC02542.JPG
Jflytle likes this.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:15 AM   #3

So is it safe to say you like diamonds better than CBN?

All I've used is the Schwartz 1μ CBN water emulsion on nanocloth and the greasy 0.25μ diamonds on a paint stirring stick.

The greasy stick seems more economical as it uses less product. The nanocloth seems to soak in the CBN, so I'm using a lot of drops.

It's hard to make an accurate cost comparison at this point, but I think the tub of diamonds is costing less than half the cost of the bottle of CBN.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote