Oh, my Artisan Fulcrum Framelocks came. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #1

Oh, my Artisan Fulcrum Framelocks came.

These are some of the most perfect knives made, and it put me through my paces.

As you'll remember, I found them on a shipping report, and did not remember the oddball parts numbers. I called my Blue Ridge inside sales girl/woman/fox (whatever the correct term is for today through Sunday) and asked her if the order went out. She told me it was sitting on the dock, waiting for the company truck.

I told her, "Good, cancel the order."

I had gotten a stern lecture from the Bada Bing 'Bookkeeping Department' about "cost overruns." Had the order shipped we have been flat broke until the next billing cycle. I felt the story had a happy ending at this point.

A few days later I got a new Blue Ridge monthly catalog and was perusing the knives. There were the Fulcrum Framelocks, each replete with a bizarre parts number--just like the kind I canceled.

And yes, a biker can be a Christian. I figured that God had a purpose, and like it says in my daily devotional, sometimes our Lord teaches with a hardship. I prayed, and thanked Him.

But I did keep following up, except Blue Ridge was back-ordered then. Again I shrugged, it was a just a fair exchange by my Redeemer.

Then one day, my wife tells me the bills are paid, and we have some cheese and yams in the refrigerator. Since you could in fact count my ribs, she relented and cracked open a jar of Kirkland Basil Pesto she had been saving for this year's Christmas dinner.

She added I could have my discount Artisan knife, if it was in fact discount, and I could get a pastel green one for her. She had heard me crow to Joyce, and she wanted one.

Well, I'm having a bad day. A client's knife is scratched. As I'm sulking, the doorbell rings and it's the UPS guy with a very heavy package. The return label simply says "BRK." Blue Ridge Knives.

I open it up, and see the logo for "Artisan," we're both excited. After all +800 dollars of knives for 280 bucks (that's 140 each) is a steal!

As I unzip the expensive and well padded case buried inside their steel box, my wife gets a glimpse of the size and scope of a Fulcrum Framelock.

Without emotion she says, "I don't want mine anymore--you can have it..."
Old 04-05-2019, 05:40 PM   #2

I'm done collecting. What can possibly be left?

Here are the pictures--cause without pictures it didn't really happen.

But if you ever see me wearing a black/black Harley belt bag (and not my usual orange/black model) pray for the poor forsaken fool.

With that edge, it would appear that the body just "fell apart..."

DSC02551.JPG

DSC02552.JPG

DSC02553.JPG
Bigdog likes this.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #3

In all seriousness, I think this is the knife I've been looking for. Let me explain.

My blade training is with sabers, not knives. It's my twisted mind that realized that the footwork of 15th century Italian swordsman (who fought in a circle) could easily be translated to "beating feet" in a saloon. The feet are key, they get you close to kill and they get you out of beats, feints, and an opponent's lunge.

The hand positions and movements in saber are (duh) the same with a knife. That being, you grasp with four fingers, and raise and lower the weapon's tip by modulating your thumb.

I stay slim, I'm faster, with less of a target zone. And now those foolish inventors have given me the ultimate tool for survival.

In fact, they have given me two...

Old 04-05-2019, 06:11 PM   #4

Not to sure about the blade release..seam like one would be disengaging the blade when squeezing and cutting ect
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:20 PM   #5

This knife isn't loose or shoddy in any position.

Yes, some early liner locks could be disengaged to close by accident if squeezed, but that issue was repaired 20 years ago.

Even if that was issue, a small threaded headless screw is sent with the knife. (You can also see this demonstrated on the YouTube video)

You can see hole in my picture, right above the flipper lever, and below the pivot.

Dirk Pinkerton is a gifted designer, and after holding his work, I think he's a genius. But that's not a word I toss around amid tame sharpened steel. Most of that substandard stuff is made for fanboys at Tactical Knives--if that rag is still published...

For rigorous or continuous work, this threaded pin turns the Fulcrum Framelock into a "fixed bade."

Last edited by The Tourist; 04-05-2019 at 07:22 PM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #6

Still deciding if i realy need one...i used a big spiderco for 20 years..then went to boxcutter because i used them a lot..not having to use it every second now i kinda like it...just wish there was a stainless version
Old 04-08-2019, 05:53 AM   #7

And I have a box-cutter, as well. With good reason.

For example, I get a lot of UPS boxes with valuable knives in them. I make sure I have new/sharp blades in the box-cutter, and I slowly slice down an edge making sure I hit nothing--not even the peanuts or wads of paper.

There might be a receipt in the package or a knife might have slid out of its container.

Even with a very sharp knife, I find I'm "pushing harder" through cardboard. I've never dinged a new knife, so why tempt fate?
Old 04-29-2019, 08:43 PM   #8

the damn thing has been gnawing at me for weeks now.just ordered one... thanks guys
CharlieW likes this.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:05 PM   #9

wooohooo..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1989.JPG (1.88 MB, 6 views)
Old 05-04-2019, 03:20 PM   #10

Time to go chop down a forest!
Bigdog likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote