Rob, I try to "polish" depending on the knife. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2019, 07:32 AM   #1

Rob, I try to "polish" depending on the knife.

After I saw some of your kitchen knives (especially the folded models) I decided to kick up my regimen on slicing edges.

I've been using the Schwartz nanodiamond slurry at 3.2 million grit. So far, I haven't needed to polish with his 5.4 million grit slurry.

Just as my wife and I made friends with the staff of the east side Sumo Restaurant, it burned and so far has remained closed! That 5.4 is getting dusty!

(Get this, it's a Japanese restaurant, however as we got to know the head waiter he told me the entire staff was actually Chinese. Supposedly they send their knives out...)

Ken did make me several fine grain, padded applicators for his slurry, and then attached them to a thick piece of uniform, flawless glass.

Click on picture to enlarge.

DSC02570.JPG

Last edited by The Tourist; 04-10-2019 at 08:05 AM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-10-2019, 08:03 AM   #2

Rob, speaking of Ken, he's also managed to twist my arm and buy his full complement of edge grinding tools!

I can go from 5.4 million grit to 600 coarse by just switching to what falls to hand.

Click on pictures to enlarge.

DSC02542.JPG

DSC02568.JPG
Old 04-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #3

There is a reason I think sharpening and polishing is important. I was amazed the first year I hung my shingle at the old Gander Mountain facility across from our East Towne Mall.

A guy might buy the best hunting equipment and cartridges he could afford, and then buy a cheap knife. The just after our "nine day gun" season, the same guys would gather at the store and lament their bad luck, even at field dressing.

Right after that, a customer came in, madder than Hades. He walked up to me and demanded, "Are you the sharpener?" I nodded and assumed my short career was over.

He reached into his pocket, pulled a short caping knife, and almost in a terse command, "asked" me to repair his edge. It was a CF.

I got out the 'good stones,' and slowly went to work. I didn't even ask about "grit level," or even cost. I just pretended an angry Hattori Hanzo had come to see me. But the edge was made painfully even, polished and frankly not worth the tariff. I handed it back.

The guy was still angry. But he pulled out three twenties. He said, "Rumor has it you make 20 bucks per inch for the chefs. Here's 60, keep the change."

I must have questioned his sanity with just my eyes, but he continued.

"I like to go to Wyoming for elk," he started, "Last time a guide cost me a mount. This year I got two tags in the lottery--and that butchery ain't gonna happen again..."

I started to take a little more urgency in my work after that. It's a craft, over 800 years old. Rob, Ron, Dwade, Ken and myself believe in this.

Right now I'm struggling to remove the last of the scratches out of a heel on a Boker. The client might not even care. But I can see them.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #4

Hello, and Welcome, Rob. Chico has been working hard to make "knife guys" out of all of us - it appears that I have been won over.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:30 AM   #5

Now, if Rob and I could make "knife customers" out of all of you, that would be something...
Rob Babcock likes this.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #6

Nice! I last spoke to Ken almost six months ago! I was in Idaho at the time but haven't had a chance to call him since I moved to Montana.
Rob Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:48 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
I moved to Montana.
Funny you should say that.

One of our former members, "MontanaResident," hung his own shingle and is polishing knives out there. I wish I remembered the highway number, but it's a straight stretch out into the country.

Are you still polishing for kitchens?
Old 04-12-2019, 07:41 PM   #8

Lately just my own, occasionally I'll do one for one of my cooks. Just haven't had a ton of time lately. Funny, a couple days ago I took my Kalamazoo grinder to work and did the house knives. I was bringing it back from my storage unit to my place and figured to make a quick detour to fix the crappy knives at work.
Rob Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:49 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
to fix the crappy knives at work.
LOL, you'd be surprised on how often I mention knives as "crappy" also.

I think it's the factory edge now offered by most companies. I remember my first Emerson. The belly and tanto bevels were perfect of themselves, but they also met to form a perfect corner. I haven't seen that level of craftsmanship in quite a while.

Guys want to do DIY work, but they start from behind just getting the edge uniform.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #10

Rob, when there's only five of us...

...it means we all have to stay constantly busy, or at least reasonably sober.

Rob, over the years I have only found the original "five of us," and a new guy from this forum who hung his shingle less than a year ago.

I try to entice DIY guys to "take the veil," but I'm not always successful. For example, our forum murderator, Chuck 43, just started polishing.

Below is a picture I show guys who can't believe us nose-picking knuckle-draggers can achieve togishi results. So consider this.

My wife's magazine subscription ran out. If she renewed for another year, and paid only five dollars, she would get a "valuable free gift."

For that 5 bucks, we got two folders, technically 2.50 dollars per each. I kept the assisted folder, but below is just a jackknife, polished with Japanese stones and Schwartz emulsions to 3.2 million grit.

The knife is heavy, solid, an honest four inches of blade steel, it locks up tight and polishes like it has a ton of chromium and vanadium.

Click on picture to enlarge.

DSC02502.JPG