Switchblade 101, with Professor Gumba. - Page 2 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2019, 05:08 AM   #11

Originally Posted by JBear View Post
...and no good deed goes unpunished. Land of the free and all that jazz.
Sure, throw my own advice back at me, LOL.

There are circumstances where you know you're going to lose but the stakes demand it.

Here's the classic example. I was watching a western with my dad, and the hero seemed to be just a small-framed little cow-puncher. My dad told me he was the most decorated soldier in WWII.

He did something I would never do, I believe. With 50 of his men withdrawing from a press of Nazis, this soldier jumped into a burning vehicle, moved a dead soldier out of the emplacement, and provided suppressive fire until his men were safe.

My guess is that he never expected to survive.

So I offer the same advice. By getting involved we might lose and make fools of ourselves. The problem is that by not doing anything we live with turning our backs on innocent people.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:07 PM   #12

Point taken. This may sound strange, but I'm less afraid of dying for a noble cause than I am of being arrested for being the good guy who fucked over himself, his wife, his family etc. for a stranger who may or may not have been worth the trouble. Call me an asshole, but I'm nothing if not misanthropic. It is what it is. And I'd like to believe that my attitude would be vastly different in a foxhole. Not to mention, war heroes are less likely to get sued or arrested for their bravery than the "good guy with a gun" is. Ergo, I do not include valor in combat in the "no good deed..." proverb.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #13

Good advice Tourist. We far greater regret what we did not do as compared to what we did do. Defending yourself, family or one who cannot defend themselves is a far nobler deed than simply saying: "Not my problem" I would certainly want a stranger to defend my loved ones if I were not there.
Chief1200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #14

I also try to "accentuate the positive."

I had a coffee coupon left over from yesterday. I saw a couple, the guy was drinking McDonald's coffee, and his wife was drinking a bottle of water. I inquired if she's rather join her husband for coffee. She told me how she took it, and I fetched it.

It cost me nothing, and in a scant twelve hours the coupon would have expired. Both of us couples had a good laugh, a smile and hopefully see each other again at B&N.

Clearly, I try to help circumvent a bad situation, but making a good one into a great one has its upside, as well.