Is that a sewer cover or just made from one? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By The Tourist
  • 2 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #1

Is that a sewer cover or just made from one?

My wife is an avid coin collector. To that, my supplier sells silver dollars of superior value. For example, many silver dollars are only 42 percent silver, where the the ones from Blue Ridge are 99 % silver.

When the 2019 dollars became available, my wife wanted some. To get free shipping, you have to order +100 dollars in product. I had everything I needed, so it was time to buy a few 'newbies' and expand my inventory.

The funny thing is that all of their catalog pictures make the folders appear to be the same size. Most of the ones I sell have a blade length of 3.5 inches and a handle of no more than 5 inches.

Now, those Fulcrum Framelocks are huge, but I doubt any of them will be carried. The knife below is made to carry and use.

My hand takes a Harley "large" glove, and that should give you an idea on just how huge this folder is.

I'm thinking of an EMT or a firefighter first responder. Someone who needs an axe but doesn't carry one...

Click on pictures to enlarge.

DSC02597.JPG

DSC02598.JPG
bhunted likes this.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:22 PM   #2

Compare the pictures. To show you the kinds of things that I have been carrying lately is my new Boker stonewashed folder.

It can be worn on the neck, or in your fob pocket.

It is 440C, and I think it will be useful at restaurants where the steak knives are dull and something that does not draw attention is the order of the day.

DSC02599.JPG

DSC02601.JPG
Dude22 and Bigdog like this.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:26 PM   #3

Little one is kinda cute.
Big one is more like a club.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2019, 05:52 AM   #4

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Big one is more like a club.
In an effort to stay busy until my dentist appointment, I began to shape the edge on that brute. Only one really bad spot, about 5/8s of an inch on the left tip.

Depending on how the 600 grit stone goes, I might make this bad boy "toothy but sharp." It's more of a tool, and no one would pick this for extremely fine work.

If it doesn't slice to my liking I might go up to 800 grit or perhaps 1,000.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:48 AM   #5

I did get the edge shaped last night, but I had a dentist appointment this morning, and I had to get some sleep.

The 'beast' was waiting at home for me, and the alloy was so coarse and tough the edge didn't feel very sharp. I thought to myself, "I have to find a guy skilled at sharpening because this one is going to be a nightmare..."

A quick call to Rob Babcock only brought derision and loud laughter. Then he hung up.

I decided on just getting the second best polisher, and to my horror that meant me...

I used every stone I could think off, and the coarseness just didn't improve. There was nothing left to do but imitate the old togishi school and polish the edge like it just came off a shogun's battlefield. At the beginning, it just seemed a waste of time and materials.

But somehow this morning, and still tired and bit doubtful, I rotated the monster into the light, and the edge gleamed. Scared the sheepdip out of me!

Once the polished edge revealed itself, the buffing made it murderous!

DSC02602.JPG

DSC02604.JPG

Last edited by The Tourist; 04-23-2019 at 09:53 AM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #6

BTW, with a few flips to loosen up the action, and some judicious drops of Joyce's "Quick Release," the full force of the 'assisted opening' came into play.

PS. Had this been a client's knife I would charge my usual 45 dollars per hour for the repairs (three hours) and 100 dollars per inch for a complete polish. It would be cheaper to buy a gun.

Last edited by The Tourist; 04-23-2019 at 10:03 AM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote