Knife guys are jerks! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree61Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2019, 10:54 PM   #1

Knife guys are jerks!

Yeah, I'm enthused about my experiments with edges. So I got tempted and joined a couple knife forums.

After a couple weeks at one specific forum, it was an obvious home to fanboys who wanted to discuss how cool it would be if this model knife was made with that steel and that colored scales in such-and-such texture, or who was the fastest flippy-flopper with their well lubed but never used fidget spinner knife. Criminy! There were sixty new threads every day with different perturbations of this discussion.

The other forum was a little more balanced. There are dozens of different topics, with many dozens of new threads every day. Of the thousands of messages daily, there were a couple that were of minor interest. Great! I can live with that.

But I noticed something yesterday. When I signed up, being the honest sort of bloke that I am, I entered my name when it asked for my name. But I realized that when posting to the forum, it was using my real name. I'm not really concerned that some maniac is going to track me down and steal my knife, but it's contrary to popular Internet forum protocol. I asked that my name be changed from my real one to RustyIron. It seemed like a reasonable request.

The moderator responded that it could be done, but I would have to pay a $10 fee. I thought it over, but no matter how I considered it, I continually came to the conclusion that these guys are a bunch of keyboard wankers. So I blew up all my messages and walked away.

We talk about more important knife thoughts here on a gun forum than any of those knife forum fools could even consider.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Tejun and 4 others like this.

Join the NRA

Last edited by RustyIron; 05-23-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Remove Ads
Old 05-24-2019, 04:53 AM   #2

I was only ever a member of one knife forum, many years ago. I found everyone for the most part to be pleasant. They were a little bit too supportive of habits I couldn't afford at the time though, and I had to excuse myself...
Old 05-24-2019, 08:56 AM   #3

Yep. Know exactly what you are talking about. Iíve also been cruising a couple but havenít signed on as member. This gives me good reason not to !
wayne likes this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP

Old 05-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #4

All guys are jerks. Just ask some of our X's.
Mini Me, Bigdog and wayne like this.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #5

I've been lurking around a few but haven't found 1 worth joining yet. I've also been lurking around 1 for sharpening but it not very active, I don't think there's been a new on it for 2 weeks.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
Old 05-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #6

Wayne, I'll bet if you asked a question on polishing you'd have eight guys respond.

Most guys who become avid knife collectors wind up doing their own polishing. They want something perfect, and "time" just flies by.

I'm working on a Buck today, and I'd guess three days will be needed.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:14 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
All guys are jerks. Just ask some of our X's.
Yup, thats for sure
Cucamonga kid likes this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Old 05-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Tejun View Post
Yup, thats for sure
Okay, I want to get this straight.

You meet a knife guy, and as is the average situation, this hobbyist has a middle-priced folder with a polished edge.

You walk up to the guy, become momentarily confused by the odd fraternity badges he's wearing, laugh, and call him a "jerk."

They say "the 'Z' stands for Zorro." I disagree, I think it stands for "abdomen."

I say that because that's where are of your intestines are going to pour through from the slashed 'Z'...
Old 05-24-2019, 01:52 PM   #9

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Wayne, I'll bet if you asked a question on polishing you'd have eight guys respond.

Most guys who become avid knife collectors wind up doing their own polishing. They want something perfect, and "time" just flies by.

I'm working on a Buck today, and I'd guess three days will be needed.
I'm sure your right about, I haven't reached the polish stage yet, I am getting a better edge with my EP clone than I was freehanding. Still need a lot of practice and definitely need to get some good stones. It won't take long and give in a call Ken. I tend to start off going the cheap route but quickly jump in with both feet.
RustyIron likes this.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
Old 05-24-2019, 05:03 PM   #10

Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
okay, i want to get this straight.

You meet a knife guy, and as is the average situation, this hobbyist has a middle-priced folder with a polished edge.

You walk up to the guy, become momentarily confused by the odd fraternity badges he's wearing, laugh, and call him a "jerk."

they say "the 'z' stands for zorro." i disagree, i think it stands for "abdomen."

i say that because that's where are of your intestines are going to pour through from the slashed 'z'...
IMG_2377.JPG
ChattanoogaPhil and wayne like this.