Got my first Burrrr ! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2019, 07:05 PM   #1

Got my first Burrrr !

Last night I got a chance to try out the EP Clone for first time. Duh out the cheapest knife in the kitchen (made in China) and started with a 120 grit stone that came with the kit. Found the bevel angle and started working it. Took a bit but finally got to feel the burr. Progressed through the various grit stones up to 1500 and much to my surprise, it had a pretty sharp edge.... not up to Chicoís standards Iím sure, but I was pretty proud of it, especially the uniform bevel. Iím not ready to break out Ms Tejunís high end kitchen knives nor my Bucks yet so will most likely go buy some elcheapo knives tomorrow to practice with.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-31-2019, 07:11 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Congratulations, I know the feeling I got my first burr a couple of weeks ago. I did something similar, I bought a couple of cheap made in China kitchen knives at Walmart to practice on.
Tejun and wayne like this.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:45 PM   #3

Congratulations, guys! I'm glad the knife guys are learning to polish.

Now, let's see some pictures...
Tejun likes this.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:37 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Polish, are you kidding, I'm just learning to made what what you would consider a possible edge.
Dude22, Tejun, Jflytle and 1 others like this.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:30 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Polish, are you kidding, I'm just learning to made what what you would consider a possible edge.
Good thing it's not a competition.
This is more like a "rally" than a "race."
Tejun, Jflytle and wayne like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:36 AM   #6

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I can imagine if this first attempt is daunting, but there are some easy steps that help.

First, even if the edge is not uniform, ink it with a magic marker and make a LIGHT pass with a coarse stone. Some areas will be bold, some very faint. Just lightly work the edge a tad harder in the light areas, making the edge more uniform.

I emphasize LIGHTLY. Then flip the knife over and do the same thing on the other side. Flip it again, and work a touch more firmer. Flip it again.

When you feel a slight burr has formed and the edge is 90% uniform, go up one grit level with your next stone. Again, use light passes, making the edge even more uniform. Then go up another stone.

I believe the problem is using too much pressure on the edge. The pitfall is that you want to get to the end. But by inking and making more light passes the edge will become uniform, and you won't lose lots of metal.
Chuck43, Tejun and wayne like this.

Last edited by The Tourist; 06-01-2019 at 08:56 AM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #7

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I can imagine if this first attempt is daunting, but there are some easy steps that help.

First, even if the edge is not uniform, ink it with a magic marker and make a LIGHT pass with a coarse stone. Some areas will be bold, some very faint. Just lightly work the edge a tad harder in the light areas, making the edge more uniform.

I emphasize LIGHTLY. Then flip the knife over and do the same thing on the other side. Flip it again, and work a touch more firmer. Flip it again.

When you feel a slight burr has formed and the edge is 90% uniform, go up one grit level with your next stone. Again, use light passes, making the edge even more uniform. Then go up another stone.

I believe the problem is using too much pressure on the edge. The pitfall is that you want to get to the end. But by inking and making more light passes the edge will become uniform, and you won't lose lots of metal.
Great suggestions Chico ! What I was trying to do is get comfortable with all the motions of holding the knife steady and moving the stone consistently and smoothly without applying too much pressure. I did catch myself bearing down on occasion. It seems to me to be a rhythmic thing, kinda like dancing (which I really suk at) but practice allows you to get better at it.
wayne likes this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #8

The best advice I ever heard about sharpening is this, "I'm good at removing metal, but I'm not good at gluing it back on..."

I've worked for several days at polishing a 3.25 inch folding knife blade.
Tejun likes this.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #9

Dollar store knives are good to practice on. If you different stores you will different steels to practice with. It's surprising how well they will take a edge, holding that edge is another story but hey they just practice so let them get dull fast.
Tejun and Jflytle like this.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #10

It does get easier as you practice and learn to take your time.

Below is a very hard knife to polish--surprisingly, it is 420HC, and must be hardened like the hinges of Hades! It's like polishing a bastard file!

Take your time? Yikes, how much time is there? LOL

But when the day is done and your knife is uniform and toasty, it is all worth it.

DSC02631.JPG