Optics Planet Policy Sucks - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2019, 10:49 AM   #1

Optics Planet Policy Sucks

I already have a Kershaw Launch 7 automatic knife in the Teal blue color and I like it a lot, been carrying it since I got it. I liked it so much in fact I decided to purchase another but in a different color. Last week when Phil and I was at the gun show one of the vendors had a Gray Launch 7 with a Black blade. Well it was nice, I liked it but his best cash price was $99 bucks plus the high Tennessee sales tax. When I asked what color his knife was called he said grey I guess, "that's the only color it comes in!" I said: wrong and showed him my Teal 7. Vendor had never seen a blue one. I thanked him and told him Tennessee sales tax and internet was hurting his business.
He asked internet price, I had paid 78 or 79 bucks for the Teal model. He said he could not sell it for that?

So I found the same Gray Launch 7 on Optics Planet for $88 dollars, ordered it. I kept waiting for tracking number, checked OP site found my order was on hold wanting more information? Short story due to Federal rules and crap they wanted me to send a purchase order for the knife on my Police dept letter head or some form of military ID.
I told them to stick it, that's total BS. I'll take my business to a online knife site and buy direct no questions asked all they want is my credit card number.

FYI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Atomic Dagger DA OTF.jpg (1.64 MB, 7 views)
Chuck43, Tejun and wayne like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-01-2019, 10:54 AM   #2

Very nice! I like the bevel on the OTF knife, that polisher appears to know what he's doing.

You're a lucky guy. I've never owned an OTF, I should get with the program.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #3

I believe federal law otherwise prohibits interstate sales of automatic knives.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #4

I have ordered all of my automatics through Grind Worx or BladeHQ in Utah no questions asked.
2sharp2 and PaulWVa like this.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:07 PM   #5

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
I believe federal law otherwise prohibits interstate sales of automatic knives.
***Old RED tape laws but if you file there paperwork they will ship.

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
I have ordered all of my automatics through Grind Worx or BladeHQ in Utah no questions asked.

***Exactly! Double standard? How does Grind Worx and others do it? ***

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:12 PM   #6

https://kniferights.org/resources/fe...itchblade-act/

https://op1.0ps.us/pdf/opplanet-knif...tion-v2pt9.pdf

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 06-01-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:23 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
BladeHQ

8. Automatic Knife Laws & Assisted Knife Laws. The Switchblade Act, (Pub.L. 85-623, 72 Stat. 562, enacted on August 12, 1958, and codified in 15 U.S.C. § 1241–1245), as may be amended, (the “Act”) prohibits shipment of automatic knives across state lines, with the following exceptions:

(a) to civilian or Armed Forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal Government ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of the Federal Government;

(b) to supply or procurement officers of the National Guard, the Air National guard, or militia of a state, territory or the District of Columbia ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in the connection with the activities of such organization;

(c) to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of any State or Territory, or any county, city or other political subdivision of a State or Territory;

(d) to manufacturers of such knives or bona fide dealers therein in connection with any shipment made pursuant of an order from any person designated in paragraphs (a), (b), and (c).

Sections 1242 and 1243 of the Act shall not apply to:

(e) any common carrier or contract carrier, with respect to any switchblade knife shipped, transported, or delivered for shipment in interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business;

(f) the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce, of switchblade knives pursuant to contract with the Armed Forces.

(g) the Armed Forces or any member or employee thereof acting in the performance of his duty;

(h) the possession, and transportation upon his person, of any switchblade knife with a blade three inches or less in length by any individual who has only one arm; or

(i) a knife that contains a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure of the blade and that requires exertion applied to the blade by hand wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure to assist in opening the knife.

Blade HQ will not sell to any individual or group outside the State of Utah without the above conditions being met. This does not apply to automatic knives manufactured, distributed, purchased or sold within the State of Utah. Proper identification may be required before the order is shipped in cases where restricted items are purchased.

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Terms-Conditions--96
Old 06-01-2019, 01:34 PM   #8

I've bought three automatics from BladeHQ without anything more than my address and credit card.

I haven't bought any knives from Optics Planet but have made several other purchases without any issues. OP often has the best prices and some unique items I couldn't find anywhere else. I guess we take the bad with the good.
2sharp2 and Tejun like this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #9

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
***Exactly! Double standard? How does Grind Worx and others do it? ***

My GoogleFu came up with an interesting post from a Guy named Cam at Blade HQ.

https://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?t=14872

I want to be clear on this: when someone flat out tell us that they are not military/LEO, etc we will not ship any automatic knives to that individual. If you tell me that you can't legally own it then I can't send it. There are a lot of good alternatives though- spring assist knives have come a long way (even the OTF models). I'd actually love to go on a rant about how silly laws are (in my mind fixed blades will always be the most deadly type of knife, but remain completely unrestricted), but I'll save it for another time.

-Cam

----

Sounds like some seller's policy is to follow the law by asking, others have a policy of don't ask don't tell.
PaulWVa, Bigdog and wayne like this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 06-01-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:56 PM   #10
wfm

After reading so many posts about switch blades or automatic knives on this forum in the past months, I thought what the hell, why not. I got on line about a month ago, went to Blade HQ website, picked out a Schrade switchblade put it in my cart and was only ask for a mailing address and credit card number. It was as simple as ordering from Amazon. It took about a week to get here.
2sharp2, Tejun and wayne like this.
wfm is offline   Reply With Quote