Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By The Tourist
  • 1 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 04:36 PM   #1

Ken Schwartz is moving.

Ken will be relocating his home and shop to better quarters during the next few months. Where you and I would move underwear and socks, Ken has to move some of the most unique and rare Japanese waterstones ever to be imported into this country.

Yes, he still carries every stone I own, but he also has a fantastic inventory of "jnats," or 'Japanese Naturals.' Many of these scarce rocks date back to the glory days of the Samurai, and were used by togishi craftsmen. I am fortunate enough to own five of them.

Ken is also coming out with his own line of 150 grit 3x8 flattening plates, and a special brush to clean these hyper flattening pieces. Since he controls the quality and the function, his prices will be lower for superior plates.

For those polishers who want to blind themselves with their own shiny edges, Ken is still providing suspensions, emulsions and spray on polishes that put edges in the millions of grit.

These implements are heavy, hard to lift and subject to the fumbling of idiots. Many of these rocks came out of a Samurai pit right to Ken's back door. This is not the job for "Two Men and a Truck." When the supply dries up or Ken retires, American polishers will never see this stuff again. Yes, he has competitors--I do not buy from them because I want people to pick a knife off the table and say, "This is one of Chico's, isn't it?"

To do that, Ken is the only game in town. He's honest, his word is his bond, and if it breaks he'll square it.

Call Ken before he has to hire a Sherman Tank to move the rocks!

Call him at 209-612-2790. And leave your number! He has clients in many countries, and a stack of knives without names. Help him during this stressful period.

(BTW, I bought stuff from him during the move--saved me a third!)
Tejun and Jflytle like this.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:22 AM   #2

@Tejun, this might be your chance to get superior waterstones at some sales pricing. Ken would rather sell off some of the stones rather than load and then unload them at the new site.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:02 AM   #3

I don't know what I need. What should I buy next?

The stuff I use most is:
150 bamboo
400 bamboo
1000 gold
2000 speckled
5000 bamboo
8000 ume
1μ CBN
.25μ CBN

My 5k is cracked, but I think it still works ok. I'm thinking of putting a drop of clear nail polish at the crack.

Sometimes I feel like I'd like something in between 400 and 1k.

I like highly polished, but like a couple blades between 400 and 1000 in the kitchen for hacking through artichoke stems and banana peels.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2019, 08:59 AM   #4

'Iron, if I was to buy one and only one stone, I would buy that 2000 blue speckled.

You could take that stone, a BOB, a few spare magazines and any knife and be prepared for TEOTWAWKI. It is a sharpening kit with a singular tool.

A 2000 speckled is always used at my house. Oddly, it sharpens and polishes at the same time.
RustyIron likes this.