More than just a boast. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 05:06 PM   #1

More than just a boast.

In my house we revere the Edo era precepts. It was a more gentile appreciation of music, theater, and most of all honor. And it touched all phases of life--both in the military and in domestic life.

My wife has taken to gardening and landscaping lately. It has been a hard, back-breaking job that she loves with every bruise and pulled muscle. Most nights I have to get her back inside the house to eat something.

During this initial enterprise, she had trouble opening mulch bags, digging up thirty year old roots and replanting her beloved hostas. I told her the work would be easier if she mirrored the enlightened Japanese.

"For one thing," I proffered, "there's a tool for your agony. It is simply called a 'Japanese Garden Tool'..."

"Does it have a motor on it?" she joked.

I shook my head, "No, it's like a bizarre shovel made out of cannibalized railroad tracks. I'll get you one, and I have the Japanese implements to keep it working."

While she didn't believe me, I bought the tool, and refined the striking edges, the tip, and realigned the serrated edge. She was a different woman coming in that night.

She handed me the filthy tool and proudly snapped, "I did 17 bags of mulch! The sewn on re-enforcers just flew apart! Any root--even on a thorny hosta--was nothing!"

Then she stopped, "I might have dulled it, can it be repaired?"

"Of course," I comforted her, "It's just raw iron, probably over 150 years old. I'll clean the tool, soak it in butcher block oil, and sharpen it in the morning..."

"Great," she sighed, "I can't work without that tool! Do you know how many hostas I have?"

"Two things, my dear," I said. "First, I don't go into your garden so I don't know how many hostas you have. But I do know two things you don't."

"What's that?" she queried.

"Well, I can fix you tool like any other incredibly balanced Japanese item--that's why you're not worn out and you did more."

"What's the second thing?"

I grinned, "A proper Japanese wife would call a hosta by it's proper Japanese name. And that, my dear, is giboshi. Your tool will be done before day break..."

Click on the picture to enlarge.

DSC02645.JPG

BTW, for all of you who have similar gardening projects, that same tool is sold everywhere. Here's a lead for those gardeners:

https://www.hayneedle.com/product/su...cAcA&gclsrc=ds
Tejun, wayne and Lowapproach like this.

Last edited by The Tourist; 06-04-2019 at 05:21 PM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-04-2019, 06:01 PM   #2

I will follow that link. Also: I love Weeping Cherry trees. I'm jus' sayin'.
Tejun likes this.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:44 PM   #3

I'm not much of a Tom Cruise fan, but one line in "The Last Samurai" broke my heart. As the Samurai is dying on the battlefield, he attempts to commit seppuku. Cherry blossoms are often used to depict life, love, or respect for your comrades in arms.

He stares over Tom Cruise' shoulder and watches the cherry blossoms blow from the trees, like the his comrades who were now all dead. He watches the blossoms blow, and with his last breath he says, "They are all so perfect."

I was out for the night...
Tejun and wayne like this.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:57 PM   #4
Super Moderator

You can get it on Amazon for $17.90, I have one that my Mom bought about 40 years ago.
Tejun and wayne like this.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:18 PM   #5

That would be bad-ass if you carried it on your chest harness and whipped it out to slice your Subway sandwich.

Here's a gardening pic for Mrs. Tourist. It's a matilija poppy, one of the most striking plants in my yard. It's as big as my hand. They're in full bloom right now. Their fragrant beauty brings tears to the eyes of the most rugged outdoorsman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3001.jpeg (1.56 MB, 2 views)
OLE442 and wayne like this.

Join the NRA

Last edited by RustyIron; 06-04-2019 at 09:23 PM.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:53 PM   #6

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
That would be bad-ass if you carried it on your chest harness and whipped it out to slice your Subway sandwich.

Here's a gardening pic for Mrs. Tourist. It's a matilija poppy, one of the most striking plants in my yard. It's as big as my hand. They're in full bloom right now. Their fragrant beauty brings tears to the eyes of the most rugged outdoorsman.
That is a good looking flower Rob, but I would get throat punched by my friends if I shed a tear over it....lol
OLE442, Ice-and-Snow and wayne like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:06 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
That is a good looking flower Rob, but I would get throat punched by my friends if I shed a tear over it....lol
Well, I can teach you to not get punched in the first place, and to punish them by making them take naps on the floor, but that might compromise an otherwise healthy friendship. In the unfortunate event that your emotions get the best of you, better tell all your manly-men buddies that it's just a bit of hay fever that's overwhelming you.
wayne likes this.

Join the NRA

Last edited by RustyIron; 06-05-2019 at 12:09 AM.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:40 AM   #8

Tourist....that that Japanese Garden Tool looks like it would be a good tool to take when out metal detecting!
wayne likes this.

Last edited by OLE442; 06-05-2019 at 07:53 AM. Reason: spellin'
OLE442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:55 AM   #9

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post

Rusty:
Those are really neat. Not sure how they'd do way up north where the Tourist lives. I'm not that far north but close. If they'd survive my Midwest winters I'd put one in the yard. Spectacular plant.
OLE442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:18 AM   #10

Originally Posted by OLE442 View Post
Tourist....that that Japanese Gardening Tool looks like it would be a good tool to take when out metal detecting!
That tool is a real-deal Japanese version, I think we paid nine bucks for it.

The Japanese refer to this type of iron as "white" or "blue." It has nothing to do with the metal, itself, just the color of the paper it comes wrapped in.

They like things that are "pure." And while an iron tool such as my wife owns is very soft, it is made of raw iron and some carbon.

I believe the American version is rust proof and a bit lighter. For us, that kind of defeats the whole purpose. However, I have the stones and Atoma shapers to make sure her tool is useful for mulch or replanting some of her giboshi bushes.

Edit: Metal detecting, huh? Not a bad idea. My wife has a metal detector, and I think she's used it all of one time. And that tool is also made for digging. Thanks for the idea!

Last edited by The Tourist; 06-05-2019 at 08:10 AM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote