Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Knives

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Tejun
  • 2 Post By The Tourist
  • 1 Post By wayne

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 08:33 AM   #1

Tale of 2 Clones

As mentioned in an earlier post, I had ordered a KME Clone on eBay to try out. Mostly curious to see what quality (if any) existed in a $30 sharpener. See the pic below (KME Clone 1) came from a guy in California (most on eBay ship from China - on a slow boat here). I think it was $36 and free shipping. Got the package pretty quickly and all the parts and pieces seemed to be included. It was when I started assembling that I quickly discovered the poor quality of workmanship. The Jaws, when snugged up would cock to one side (crooked). Then when I assembled the stone holder assembly, the stone holder that was stationary was drilled at an angle, so you had a crooked jaw system and a crooked sharpening rod/stone holder assembly. Contacted the seller expected to get the runaround and he asked if he could try and get replacement parts. I said sure, let me know. He then came back later that day and said he would just refund my money and not to bother shipping it back. Once that was settled, I found another system I had not heard about on Amazon, the Fino Edge System. Looked interesting so I ordered one to try out (KME Clone 2 pic). I liked the simplicity of it and I was able to sharpen one of my pocket knifes pretty easily, but the quality of the stones left a lot to be desired and after discovering there were no aftermarket stones (I could find) available and the stone holder rod was an odd size that would require some modification to use something that could use stones like the EP Clone, I decided to just ship it back to Amazon for a refund. Both of these probably could be modified and end up being able to be used but most of the parts are metric making it a bit challenging to find parts that would work.

The Edge Pro Clone that I got on eBay seems to be the best option in the world of clones, but that one also required some mods to get it in usable condition.

So if you are in the market for a sharpener I would stay clear of these two systems. If the Fino Edge starts gaining some traction in the market and aftermarket stones become available, I would consider that one as an alternative to the more expensive systems.

I plan to keep the Edge Pro Clone though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KME Clone 1.jpg (90.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg KME Clone 2.jpg (94.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg EP Clone Ver 2.jpg (119.8 KB, 3 views)
Chuck43, ChattanoogaPhil and wayne like this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-05-2019, 08:44 AM   #2

Tejun, I wish you didn't live so far away. I'd have you over and let you polish something on the Edge Pro "Pro" fixture. It doesn't rock or shift. Just a few drops of water under the rubber of the vacuum device and it might as well be bolted into place.
Tejun and wayne like this.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:03 AM   #3

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Tejun, I wish you didn't live so far away. I'd have you over and let you polish something on the Edge Pro "Pro" fixture. It doesn't rock or shift. Just a few drops of water under the rubber of the vacuum device and it might as well be bolted into place.
Yea, I would love to do that, but then I'd probly have to go buy one
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2019, 09:28 AM   #4

I was just looking one like pic 1, I was curious about but not enough to order now I'm glad I didn't. I'm happy with my 2 EP clones. The stones that came my second one are better than the others I have.I can get nice sharp blade almost polished blade now. I'm saving my pennies so I can get some stones from Ken. Then I'll think about upgrading my fixture.

Also Thank you the review on the other 2 fixtures
Tejun likes this.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote